+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Yup, I think you're right. Unless you've got oil no one's really interested. It didn't take long for the world to react when Iraq invaded Kuwait because Kuwait has oil. The only reason the regime in Saudi Arabia is tolerated is because it has so much oil. No one took as interest when Somalia or The Congo had/have their civil wars.
    I understand this stance when it comes to Iraq and Saudi Arabia, but the Afghanistan War happened because of 9/11 and the Taliban harboring Bin Laden.

We intervened in Bosnia, is there oil there?

I thought we had been supplying the Syrian rebels with weapons, doing what we could without entering.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And the US has sent troops to Somalia before...

I think it's a lot more complicated than thinking just because we don't enter a full on war with a country means that we are not doing anything. Fairly certain there's been UN troops in the Congo as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those poor poor people.

Stop for a minute and just think what its like to live in constant fear like that? Having bombs dropped on u and ur family?

Really puts things in perspective.

This has been going on for 29 months tho. Whats been happening is just un fathomable.

One thing that sticks in my mind is the incident last year where those 100+ children all under 10 were murdered. The footage of some of them all lined up in one home was just heart wrenching

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I understand this stance when it comes to Iraq and Saudi Arabia, but the Afghanistan War happened because of 9/11 and the Taliban harboring Bin Laden.

We intervened in Bosnia, is there oil there?

I thought we had been supplying the Syrian rebels with weapons, doing what we could without entering.
    True. I think as a general rule though if a country has a lot of oil then it's going to have a strong ally in the west that will step in to protect it when needs be. I have no idea about supplying Syrian rebels with weapons. If the west has then it gets even uglier and messier given the rebels apparently are quite a mixed group that also include a lot of extreme Islamists and have been known to kill civilians.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree. Don't quote me on the weapons, I'll google when I have time, but I'm fairly certain there has been help in some way.

I completely agree that certain countries have stronger allies based on their oil but I also think just because we haven't entered a full on war doesn't mean there hasn't been intervention or help.

Many of the situations are also a lot more complicated than us just going in guns ablazing and setting things straight. The Syrian govt has Iran, China and Russia backing them and you just stated that there are many different rebel groups, so who would we be fighting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, this must have been what I heard:

'The Syrian government is further upheld by military support from Russia and Iran, while Qatar and Saudi Arabia transfer weapons to the rebels'

It also says further in that Turkey has supplied the rebels as well.

'Since 2012, the United States,[423] United Kingdom[424] and France[425] have provided opposition forces with non-lethal aid including food and medical supplies, and promised to begin providing military aid, including weapons, communications equipment, body armor, medical supplies and non-combat armored vehicles.'

I don't have time to finish reading, but click on foreign involvement:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

ETA: 'In early March 2013, a Jordanian security source revealed that the United States, Britain, and France were training non-Islamist rebels in Jordan.[435] On 22 April 2013 the European Union lifted its embargo on Syrian oil to import barrels directly from rebel groups. Several of the oil fields are believed to be under control of Jabhat al-Nusra. Some analysts say the decision might also set up a deadly competition between rebel groups over the resource.[436]'

Syria does have oil...
    Last edited by Kirst33; 28-08-2013 at 09:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    'U.S., Allies Prepare to Act as Syria Intelligence Mounts'

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB100...?mg=reno64-wsj

Thanks
    Reviews
    This a great article about waiting to intervene:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/38193...03&ir=Politics

ETA: another good read:

'“People here in Damascus are afraid of the U.S. getting more involved and that possibly tipping the scales in this conflict,” Pleitgen told The Huffington Post in an email Tuesday “The vast majority of people we speak to want stability more than anything else in order to preserve their way of life. Government officials seem to now understand how serious the U.S. is about military action. Their tone has certainly become more reserved, even as they continue to say they would retaliate if America attacks.”'

'“I think, especially at the beginning of this conflict, it was often portrayed as though it was the Assads and their military against the people. But there are many here who support the regime even though they are very critical of it. They are afraid of the alternative, and afraid of losing their very secular and open way of life. I think that Syrians, no matter which sect they belong to, see themselves as Syrians first and that social fabric is currently being destroyed. That’s the tragedy I hope to convey in my reporting from Damascus -- to help viewers understand why it’s important for the international community to preserve this nation, regardless of who will lead it in the future.”'

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/38250...usaolp00000003
    Last edited by Kirst33; 28-08-2013 at 14:07.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for your links and info Kirst. I have been following this chemical attack in the news with great sadness and while I don't think e perpetrators should be getting away with what they've done, I'm not sure the interference the US and UK are proposing is the right thing to do. In saying that, I have no idea what should be done. Part of me thinks we should leave countries well alone and stop sticking our collective western noses in. On the other hand, leaving extremist regimes to kill innocent people, particularly children, in such a cold, calculated way just makes me think at there's no way the rest of the international community can just stand by and watch. With China and Russia in the picture, it worries me to think what the possible outcome could be from US and UK military attacks on Syria. What an awful, difficult situation. At times like these I don't envy people in positions of power (PMs, presidents etc). There are some really tough decisions to be made.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-08-2013),Busy-Bee  (29-08-2013),Kirst33  (29-08-2013),MissMuppet  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is an interesting article about the complicated relationships and enmities in the region and why the US going in wont help.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-conflict.html