+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weighted blankets

Hi all,

My DS1's psych has just suggested that he may benefit from a weighted blanket when he is in meltdown mode to help calm him down enough for his brain to think rationally to use his standard techniques to further calm himself (deep breaths, count to ten etc).

As they are so horribly expensive, and we just want to trial them, she has suggested some other things that some of her clients use, like those around the shoulder wheat bag things, toys refilled with rice that sit on laps, etc. DS has said he really wants the shoulder one, so I was thinking of whipping up one with some fabric and filling it with rice.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone uses weighted things and what is it? How heavy is it and does it work for your child? When and how often do they need to use it and do you use it out or just at home?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS's OT suggested a weighted blanket and toy.
    He hated the blanket from the moment we got it ( thankfully i have funding so didn't pay for it).
    He has a stuffed toy. I think it's 2.5kg? And he loves it, carries it around everywhere, sleeps with it, etc.

Are you able just to buy the beads from somewhere? You may be able to make your own blankets for much cheaper then.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    My DS's OT suggested a weighted blanket and toy.
    He hated the blanket from the moment we got it ( thankfully i have funding so didn't pay for it).
    He has a stuffed toy. I think it's 2.5kg? And he loves it, carries it around everywhere, sleeps with it, etc.

Are you able just to buy the beads from somewhere? You may be able to make your own blankets for much cheaper then.

Thanks. Why doesn't your son like the blanket?
    If DS responds well to the weighted shoulder thing, yeah I will make him a blanket. I saw the pellets on ebay I think yesterday for $20 for so, so it would work out so much cheaper.
    DS likes his shoulder thing, says he likes how it feels on his shoulders. We haven't used it in a meltdown yet as he hasn't had one. He probably only has a meltdown every second day now. He has also asked about a pillow pet for his lap (re-stuffed so it's weighted) and likes the sound of a blanket because he thinks it might help him fall asleep (he takes about 2 hours to fall asleep now).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    They are very cheap to make yourself.
    A friend made my son a cot size one. Yout get the proper beads from places like spotlight. From memory it was something like $8 for 500 grams. You make channels and than turn them into squares as you go.

It has helped my ds to sleep better.
    Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    They are very cheap to make yourself.
    A friend made my son a cot size one. Yout get the proper beads from places like spotlight. From memory it was something like $8 for 500 grams. You make channels and than turn them into squares as you go.

It has helped my ds to sleep better.
    I rang my two local Spotlights and a Lincraft and they said they didn't sell them. :/ I will go in and have a look though, they've been wrong before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We got ours at our local quitting store. So maybe try one of them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

CMF  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Thanks. Why doesn't your son like the blanket?
    If DS responds well to the weighted shoulder thing, yeah I will make him a blanket. I saw the pellets on ebay I think yesterday for $20 for so, so it would work out so much cheaper.
    DS likes his shoulder thing, says he likes how it feels on his shoulders. We haven't used it in a meltdown yet as he hasn't had one. He probably only has a meltdown every second day now. He has also asked about a pillow pet for his lap (re-stuffed so it's weighted) and likes the sound of a blanket because he thinks it might help him fall asleep (he takes about 2 hours to fall asleep now).
    DS says he just doesn't like the way it feels.