+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    South East QLD
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. After been raised by my mum I know what not to do.

I can count on one hand how many times I've had a drink since having ds1. I will never be drunk around my children or do what my mum did.

I also won't pay more attention to one child and neglect the other

I've realised that I've become quiet short tempered over the last few years and I'm not parenting how I want. I'm changing this though as I want my kids to be able to look back at their childhood and go 'i had a pretty damn good childhood. Mum and Dad were awesome'

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. My Mum had and still does have a great deal of love for her kids but was not strong enough to put down firm boundries and I think this has had a negative impact on my sister in particular. My parents didn't help with homework or in the classroom. The affection wasn't there either and there wasn't a lot of communication.

This has all shaped how I parent. I expect a lot of DS, I don't tolerate less than what I think he is capable of. I help with homework and am involved with his school (reading groups etc), we always cuddle, we tell each other 50 times a day how much we love each other and that we're each others best friend etc etc. I try to understand things from his perspective and the desire to be "cool". We talk a lot!

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Its a very painful issue. I hear a lot of suffering in the other thread.. so many children who felt missed, ignored, neglected, abused or misunderstood by their parents..

In my case, my paralysing fear of having one of my kids experience the desolation I experienced as a child/teen has been a huge issue for me.

I am the opposite of my parents in many ways. They were emotional disengaged, and physically abusive. We are affectionate, gentle, compassionate and try to be attuned to our childrens needs.

I am determined to break the cycle.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (23-08-2013),steel magnolia  (23-08-2013)