+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my dad was totally absent and I have only met him a handful of times in my life so he was well below average. Mum worked a lot, was a strong believer in "tough love" and wasn't much of a nurturer. I had a very lonely and neglected childhood.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 22-08-2013 at 23:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A bit of both really, but mums absolute average moment was consistently picking me up late from kindy cos she was watching days of our lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I honestly think I had a perfect childhood , my parents were and still are amazing, supportive, encouraging, strict enough but not to over the top, fun , spontaneous and caring , dad was always a fun dad, life of the party, took us out a lot, mum was a SAHM , never said a bad word about anyone , always positive , my friends used to go to her before their own mums for advice/help , they are the same with DS and he adores them , I am very lucky

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what words to use for my mum. I wish she had been just average. Instead she was drunk nearly every day...she'd even put vodka in her morning coffee.
    Dad left when I was 4 and basically chose to ignore all the calls from the welfare department with their concerns. I had such a great childhood! Not! LOL.
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 22-08-2013 at 23:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Comparing them to some of the things on the other thread you could say they are a bit of both. They both drank, a fair bit too and they still do. They played jokes on us. From the age of about 7 or 8 we were in charge of the dishes every night. We made our own lunches or went without from about 12 up. When I told them I was quitting one of my jobs they blamed DH (new bf at that stage), called him a control freak but they'd never met him at that stage. When I told them I was pregnant I was hung up on.

But they were always there. They loved us and showed it all the time. There was always food on the table and we never went without. Just the other day I was saying on fb that I don't know how mum did it all. Dad barely helped with the house duties but it was always clean and everything was always done perfectly.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the tone of the other thread that this is 'spun' from, I think my parents did everything listed by previous posters. Awesome parents but the one stand out moment was being let to watch horror films when I was I think 7 or 8 (chucky, nightmare on elm st etc) and we used to pick out random horror films from the video store. This one day we rented Dolls (tag line: they walk, they talk, they kill) - perfect kids viewing!

The day after watching this movie my brother and I were playing in the computer room and mum lined up all our dolls outside the door as if they were staring us down and had walked there themselves. My brother and I when finished playing turned to see all our dolls lined up for us. Cue screams from us and howls of laughter from mum... Love it!

Just one of many many scares we got! Still love horror films to this day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Herbies For This Useful Post:

Chunkydunks  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well I had 80's patents so yep they were average, but also awesome in their own ways They split up when I was 2, remained good friends though so custody was always smooth and relaxed.
    Dad was into partying a lot (plus gambling, smoking, etc.) it wasn't safe in any way, and I learned how to look after drunks, but we always had a blast. He used to save all his coins, we'd go to zoos, amusement parks, helicopter or horse rides, anything fun he could think of I have always worshipped him, despite knowing he's not perfect
    My mum was strict, a bit distant, and also a bit fragile (she just can't cope with life sometimes). She's also very generous, protective, and loving (in her own way, some times it felt like she loved me, but didn't like me much lol).
    Both made plenty of mistakes, but I've a tonne of funny stories to tell about them.
    Personally I'd like to be a fun, safe, and semi strict parent (kind of combine traits from both ).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sisters fiancé passed away when I was 10, and according to my siblings, my dad was a bit of an a-hole prior to him passing away but afterwards he well and truly softened. I'm glad I don't have any memories of him being an a-hole because I love my dad so much. I used to love the rare occasion that mum went out with her friends because I knew I'd get to pick what takeaway dad and I would have for dinner, and if I was lucky, he'd take me to putt putt or aqua golf before dinner. There is a photo of me asleep on dads chest as a baby and from as young as I can remember, dad would tell me how when I wouldn't go to sleep he'd lay down and put me on his chest and in no time, I'd be asleep. I still see him as a huge comfort and protector, I feel like as long as dad is around, no harm will come my way.

My mum is so special to me, dad started a business when my 3 older siblings were only babies & toddlers and he'd work 12-14 hour days so she basically raised them on her own for around 8 years until the business was going well enough that dad could regain some balance. Although my mum can annoy me with her parenting "advice", I know it comes from a good place and I feel like mum is always my home - no matter what is happening in my life, if I can be with my mum, everything will be ok.

So I guess my parents are far from average, in my eyes they're the best :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

MeeG  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by teenie View Post
    Well above average. My mum is truly the most incredible person I have ever known.
    Same. My dad had an affair and left when I was 2 and left my mum with 6 kids on her own. She did everything for us and was there for us 100%...still is. Id see my dad every second weekend for the day but we were never close.

He died 3 years ago. I see and speak to my mum all the time. Shes my hero!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My parents were (and still are) amazing.

However, in the spirit of the thread this is spun from: they use to send my sister and I to church Sunday school. Despite them not being religious and not attending church themselves. Mum would dress us in our Sunday best and we would walk (by ourselves, in primary school) to the church at the end of the street. So now I have to wonder, why did they want us out of the house for an hour or two on a Sunday morning?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (23-08-2013)