+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My parents were and are pretty awesome. They were just the right mix of easygoing and strict. They trusted us heaps but if we ever broke that trust they came down like a tonne of bricks. They worked hard and valued learning, and encouraged us without pushing us too hard.
    I never remembered how little we were supervised until mum was recounting a story about the time my brother and cousin (under 10 at the time) sawed up my uncle's futon in the garage. I was incredulous that she and my aunty let them play in the garage with tools by themselves when they were so little!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Below average

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HowCrazyCool View Post
    Below average
    Just like mine!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both were great. My sister and I were saying how amazingly blessed were were to have an upbringing where the worst we ever faced was Dad getting frustrated with our lack of sporting prowess. Poor Dad, he would have done well with a son.

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents were severely abusive, neglectful, inconsistent, human and doing the best with what they had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My father was/is freaking amazing. He had a few overseas posts, where we accompanied him, but while back in Aus he worked 9-5 in a public service job as well as doing two 12 hour taxi driving shifts over the weekend. This never, ever meant he didn't have time for me, however. I have the most awesome memories of going to our beach house with dad (Mint-Choc Magnums for breaky, if I promised not to tell mum !) and he would take me to random places of significance over the school holidays, such as taking me to a little town called Ophir (or similar) which we had done a project on RE the Goldrush, in year three.

When I found out I was UTD I was devastated, when I finally got the nerve to tell my parents, my dad hugged me and said congratulations. My mum didn't speak to me for days, and apparently the first time she 'spoke' to Dad he was concerned the car windscreen was going to shatter.

My mum on the other hand I have always had issues with. She has tried, and to be honest I really shouldn't whinge about her, but I just have that feeling every time she opens her mouth that I want to scream/run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of mine were hard workers and really gave it their all.

Dad had 'average' moments all in the name of fun but at the expense of safety!

Like letting us ride in the back of the Ute where there were no restraints. He told us to stay ducked down so the cops wouldn't bust us! 😳

When mum busted him she lost it!! 😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dad was an alcoholic, smoked like a chimney and love to gamble. He spent more time at the pub than with us. He constantly forgot our ages, our birthdays what grade we were in and when left in charge one time threw packets of noodles and jelly crystals on the floor an said he was headed to the pub. **** house parent.

Mum is a super human hero. If I'm half as good as she is ill be happy. Worked so hard but always made sure we had all we needed. We were pretty poor growing - which I now know was due to gambling from dear old dad - but never went without. She's amazing. Best thing she ever did was kick out my dad.

He's probably toasty in the afterlife.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Strengths and weaknesses as well - Dad was a well known musician, was in movies, a bit of a traveller a bit of a Larikin. Mum is an academic and author and creative writing teacher, lots of creative juices flowing. Both great people. They were a bit relaxed with the old parenting. Can't remember either of them being into imaginative play - maybe that is where I get it from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had many years to reflect on my mother, she was very different to people outside the house than what she was to the people that lived with her. A very unhappy woman. She ran off with an 19 year old when I was 11, I have only seen her a couple of times since ( im now 43) so below average.

Dad is my favourite person in the world, raised 3 kids, kind gentle and hard working. My best friend really. So often I would feel very alone in the world without him. An honest to goodness super hero!