+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hahahahah

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,362
    Thanks
    2,566
    Thanked
    3,781
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FurBabies View Post
    Hehehehe..... I thought the same!
    Me too!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked
    76
    Reviews
    0
    Ive just been diagnosed with a compounded hetero Mthfr too. Well actually I was diagnosed in 2011 but my IVF specialist didn't tell me that it was related to fertility. Several miscarriages later and it has just been picked up and explained to me by a GP. Well she recommended this website for the Thorne brand, Methyl guard forte: iherb.com.

    Hope that is useful. x

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wanabemum For This Useful Post:

    Pprom.mama  (21-11-2013)

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked
    69
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have just got blood results back saying I am homozygous for MTHFR A1298C which is apparently the variant with less complications? My homocysteine levels are fine though. My dh has come back as heterozygous for MTHFR A1298C. I have no idea what any of this means its waaay out of my league! I had a miscarriage earlier this year and now worried it could be related. What was everyone advised by their fs about this? Im speaking to my dr asap!

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird1 View Post
    I have just got blood results back saying I am homozygous for MTHFR A1298C which is apparently the variant with less complications? My homocysteine levels are fine though. My dh has come back as heterozygous for MTHFR A1298C. I have no idea what any of this means its waaay out of my league! I had a miscarriage earlier this year and now worried it could be related. What was everyone advised by their fs about this? Im speaking to my dr asap!
    Drs dont know much at all about mthrf and shrug it off and tell you to take folic acid when you need to stay away from. Just have a look on the net for Info. Dr ben lynch is very knowledgeable but hes in the usa and on the. Net.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wanabemum View Post
    Ive just been diagnosed with a compounded hetero Mthfr too. Well actually I was diagnosed in 2011 but my IVF specialist didn't tell me that it was related to fertility. Several miscarriages later and it has just been picked up and explained to me by a GP. Well she recommended this website for the Thorne brand, Methyl guard forte: iherb.com.

    Hope that is useful. x
    Hey. Yeh I already get all my pills from them. I found some for cheaper tho but I need to look into it a bit more. Im.on the 5mg l-5-methylfolate, b6, b12 lozenges and vit c. I just hate having to take so many pills for the rest of my life boooo

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked
    69
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanyandco View Post
    Drs dont know much at all about mthrf and shrug it off and tell you to take folic acid when you need to stay away from. Just have a look on the net for Info. Dr ben lynch is very knowledgeable but hes in the usa and on the. Net.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks tiffanyandco. Ur right the dr had no clue but I saw a fertility naturopath who said the variant I have is not as serious and I just need to take a more absorbed form of folic acid. She has given me folic acid b6 and b12 in a more absorbed form to take once a day. Does that sound right?

    What did u mean about staying away from folic acid when doctors advise to take more? Do u mean the basic folic acid and not the more absorbed form? Im getting confused lol

    Does that sound right to u that she has given me folic acid b6 and b12 in a more absorbed form?

    Thanks heaps for ur help

    I must say I'm relieved I dont have the c677t variant!

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird1 View Post
    Thanks tiffanyandco. Ur right the dr had no clue but I saw a fertility naturopath who said the variant I have is not as serious and I just need to take a more absorbed form of folic acid. She has given me folic acid b6 and b12 in a more absorbed form to take once a day. Does that sound right?

    What did u mean about staying away from folic acid when doctors advise to take more? Do u mean the basic folic acid and not the more absorbed form? Im getting confused lol

    Does that sound right to u that she has given me folic acid b6 and b12 in a more absorbed form?

    Thanks heaps for ur help

    I must say I'm relieved I dont have the c677t variant!
    Your body cant process normal folic acid so you need to take methylfolate which is the form you need to be taking. Taking folic acid will just build up in your system and cause cancer, blood clots ect. Take normal folic acid will give you baby birth defects or cause miscarriage because you wont have folate which is what your baby will need. Drs still say take extra folic acid because that was the very very old protocol and after much more research they discovered it was causing harm.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,491
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Folate is essential for cell growth and reproduction, the breakdown and utilization of proteins, the formation of nucleic acids, red blood cell maturation, and a variety of CNS reactions. Both folic acid and dihydrofolate are not biologically active forms of folate, but are essentially pro-drugs, and must undergo enzymatic transformation to L-methylfolate in order to be used by cells, and unlike other forms of folate, L-methylfolate readily crosses the blood-brain barrier for use in the CNS. It is impossible to get L-methylfolate from food. One has to get L-methylfolate through supplementation.

    Supplemental and enriched folic acid foods should be avoided by those afflicted with MTHFR C677T mutations because the MTHFR mutation has partially destroyed the MTHFR enzyme which is required to process folic acid completely.

    Natural foods with folate should be consumed by all with MTHFR mutations as food folate helps make other forms of folic acid which are needed for various functions.

    Those with MHTFR mutations do not process folic acid into 5-MTHF.

    If folic acid does not turn into 5-MTHF, folic acid levels build up. Elevated folic acid has potential to stimulate pre-existing cancer cells so you need to stay away from it.

    That said, it is unwise to provide supplemental folic acid to anyone with MTHFR  mutations.

    However, what one should understand is there is an already methylated, active form of folate available. This is L-5-MTHF and is available via supplement form over the counter and is also available by prescription only.

    Australia does not sell it though so you would need to buy it from the usa.


    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked
    69
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for that. Is this form of folate ur talking about called "folinic acid"? I saw a naturopath who only sees fertility patients and treats alot of ppl with mthfr. She said this is the form i needed with a1298c variation. She said she has alot of patients with it and "folinic acid" is how she treats it. She explained how folinic acid is different to normal folic acid I didnt really understand tho. She said it was the 'active' form of folic acid. She also said u cant buy it in shops or online and that it is a practioner only product. Does that sound right to u?


 

Similar Threads

  1. For the ladies doing ivf...
    By muzzy in forum IVF
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-11-2012, 05:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!