+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    Kids birthday parties should not be a place for parents to play out political agenda's!
    No, not the party itself but I believe we should always encourage our kids to think equally and should model this and encourage it. I'm just talking about party gender stuff here but it's still (for me) a part of getting my child to think about inclusiveness and on a much bigger scale, to be equality-minded and non-gender biased. Yes of course that seems ott for the thread topic but I believe it's related and will certainly ask and probe as to his reasons for only including boys if he decides later on in his childhood. Not in a 'you should' way but in a way tat encourages him to think.

I don't intend to use his parties to'play out my political agenda'.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    Nope...it is their party and not mine...as long as there is no exclusion (i.e. inviting all but 1 boy/girl etc) then it is up to them.

Kids birthday parties should not be a place for parents to play out political agenda's!
    Err, what political agenda? I don't think anyone is suggesting that children should be forced to invite people to their party but more a conversation like this:

Parent - Who do you want to invite to your party?
    Son - Jack, Dilan, Cooper and William
    Parent - What about some girls? Are you going to invite any girls to your party?

Option 1
    Son - No, just those that I said.
    Parent - Ok

Option 2
    Son - Oh yeah, I want to invite Sarah and Emily too.
    Parent - Ok

There's nothing wrong with encouraging children to play with the opposite gender. I want to encourage my children to be able to develop and hold friendships with the opposite gender and this is where it starts.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (22-08-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (23-08-2013),NewMrs  (23-08-2013),shelle65  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't exactly "push" DD to play with boys, but I ask about her friends equally, I never make a distinction or show a preference between her male friends and female friends and I do question and debunk any "boy germs/girl's can't do xyz/abc is for boys" talk.

DD has always had lots of male friends and I think it's great - unfortunately when I was a kid, if I spoke to a male it would result in lots of "oooh, you've got a BOYfriend" type stuff and to this day I find it a bit awkward to talk to men which is really stupid. I definitely don't want that for DD.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The only time I made an issue about it was when the list of intended invitees included only one boy. I suggested they add another boy or two so that one boy didn't feel the odd one out.

If they chose all girls, or a good mix of girls and boys, then I didn't interfere.

PS: I have only daughters.

Miss10 recently had a party and presented me with a list of six girls and two boys. The problem was that it was two from drama, five from school, and one from church. So I suggested we include the brother of the girl from church (only one year old, and whom she also plays with) as well. She was happy with that modification.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 22-08-2013 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They can invite whoever they like. Nothing wrong with making suggestions though.

We normally do parties with family friends because we have a large circle where he adults and kids are friends. When we've done school parties we have invited the whole class. The older ones normally do trips now and just invite a few friends, those ones have always been same sex.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 22-08-2013 at 19:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds invites who he wishes to his parties. One of his closest friends who he has known since a baby goes to school with him, they always do playdates too. He has lots of friends of both genders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Meh, my DD is 6 and she can invite who she likes! She had a princess party this year (her choice) and also invited only girls (again, her choice)...... I'm not really fussed either way TBH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd has her 6 birthday party this Saturday & we have a mixture coming. She was equally as enthusiastic about both genders, it's like they are all equals to her. But tbh I couldn't care less who she did or didn't invite its her party.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I dont really need to encourage ds who is having his party this month. We invite the whole class under school policy and then a select few special friends who are usually of both sexes

from a galaxy far far away...
    A bit OT but your school has a policy about birthday parties? What do parents think of that?

OP my DS is 3 and has had one party. It was pretty much 50/50 down gender lines. As PP said (shelle?) I'll talk about his friendships equally (eg 'i saw you swinging on the monkey bars with Jasmine, she's pretty cool how she can swing upside down!' or 'you love racing cars with Marco, don't you?') so I hope he continues to have friendships with boys and girls. But I'm fairly certain that by mid primary school he is most likely to want to associate mainly with other boys and I'm fine with that. When I was a girl I mainly played with boys out of convenience (brothers, cousins, kids on our street all boys) but I preferred being with girls and that's who I invited to my parties.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (22-08-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Most parents seem to like it that I have come across tbh. The policy is if you want to hand invites out at school everyone in the class is invited and if you dont you need to do it outside of school. They were very upfront about it from the beginning. I guess part of the reason is that our kids will go all the way through school together but also who wants their child to be the only child not invited to a party when everyone else was?

from a galaxy far far away...
    Oh ok that sounds pretty reasonable. I thought maybe the rule was the whole class has to be invited or something!