+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Longer naps?

My 7 month old DD has 2 or 3 naps a day, depending on timing and how close the last one cuts to bed time. Her naps can be anywhere from 30 mins to 1.5 hours. I figured she had learnt how to go back to sleep after a sleep cycle as she sleeps a long stretch at night and sometimes has the long day naps, so I usually go in to get her when I see that she's woken on the baby monitor, before she cries.

Today she had only slept 30 mins at her second nap and I saw that she was awake but I had so many things to do I thought I'd leave her for a bit and go in if she starts to cry; she looked around and chewed on her blanket, it took about 20 mins but she put herself back to sleep. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be going in to get her as soon as she wakes every other day. Is it normal for them to take a good 20 mins to cross a sleep cycle? I'm thinking I'll now leave her for a while after her short naps to see if she can go back to sleep, should I also try this after her longer naps or is it possible in those longer naps she's waking and going back to sleep quicker and without me realizing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'd definitely leave her lying there if she's woken after a short nap but isn't crying as she may very well put herself back to sleep. Congrats on having a self settling baby! Definitely it's very common for them to wake up, have a bit of a look around, roll around, and find a new spot to sleep. Even if she isn't actually sleeping, the cot time can count as rest time for her. Leave her be! Have a cup of tea!

My DS is nearly 15 months old. Today he woke up at 6.15am and chatted to himself or rolled around, sat up, crawled to another spot and lay down again. This went on for about half an hour, and then he went back to sleep another ten minutes, and then got up again, found another spot and by then it was nearly 7am so I was thinking of going in to get him but he went back to sleep and slept till I really had to go get him up, which was 7.40am.

During those naps that she's sleeping 1.5 hours it's very probable that she's either having a solid sleep or waking up between sleep cycles and going back to sleep without you being aware.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my 8mth old has 2 x 1.5-2hr day sleeps. I dont have a baby monitor and my advice to you would be try switching it off.
    If i went in to every noise my DS made he'd probably only be sleeping 30mins per nap.
    I have no idea how many times ds wakes and how long it takes for him to go back to sleep but all i know is he is quiet, in his room, for 2hrs, 2 times a day. BLISS!!!
    DS wakes at 7am every morning like clock work. He talks and grizzles, sometimes he will go back to sleep for another 40mins. i get him up at 8am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks so much for the replies! I tried it again today, left her when she woke from her 9am nap at 10am and she put herself back to sleep and slept until 11am. Also worked for her later nap though not as long. I feel like I should try turning the monitor off as I spend half the time while she's napping watching the screen instead of getting things done or having a break. B00ts, do you wait until you hear DS cry to go in, or do you go in after 2 hours regardless?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamonds 14 View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies! I tried it again today, left her when she woke from her 9am nap at 10am and she put herself back to sleep and slept until 11am. Also worked for her later nap though not as long. I feel like I should try turning the monitor off as I spend half the time while she's napping watching the screen instead of getting things done or having a break. B00ts, do you wait until you hear DS cry to go in, or do you go in after 2 hours regardless?
    DS doesnt cry when he wakes, he just babbles away, grizzles but it's not enough to warrent me going into him. If i go into him he expects to get up so i try not to go in at all, for as long as i can. I get him up at the 2hr mark regardless. If he's asleep, i gently wake him.
    Do try switching off your baby monitor. Get into something time consuming that will keep you distracted when you hear bub's wake early. See how you go. If anything, it will teach you baby to sleep longer if she's happliy left to be. I only wake DS after 2hrs to keep in with our routine. He thrives on routine so i keep it very consistant.

This morning i heard DS wake at 5am....6.30...7.30 but i didnt go into him untill 8am. He never cried out. He must have just woken, had a talk, realised nothing's goin on and fallen back to sleep. It pays to not go in at every noise!
    Last edited by B00ts; 24-08-2013 at 14:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks again for the reply B00ts! I'll definitely be trying this tomorrow. I try to have a routine but when she wakes early and I go in it all goes to pieces; then the rest of the day is chaotic.