+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleeping issues!!! where has my angel child gone?

So from the moment my daughter was born she was seriously the easiest baby. She was so cruisey, never cried and slept so easily.
    By three months old she was sleeping through the night.
    She was such a beautiful bub i was seriously wanting to have a family of 10 because of her! haha

anyway she hit 18months and everything changed... she started to throw tantrums, hit, kick, scream, etc etc. She is now 26 months old and can be so beautiful and then such a devil!

She is in a toddler bed as we have another bub coming in two months time, but she is starting to get terrible at sleep time. We used to be able to put her to bed and she would go to sleep by herself no problems. Now it's like a never-ending saga to get her to sleep. She gets up, runs around, plays toys, and opens the door and runs around the house. I am constantly getting cranky at her, putting her in timeout because of it. she can do this for hours.

I put her to bed at 12 and she can not fall asleep till 2/3. same at night. put her to bed at 6:30- can still be awake at 9! i do the whole read a story, windown time, music etc to get her ready but it's not working.

Anyone got some awesome advice???

we have a three bed house- wondering if i should put all her toys in one room and have her just in her room for sleep, but would mean she would have to share with bub...which might not work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could it be possible she's getting ready to drop her day nap? You could try one day just giving her "quiet time" for an hour or 2 at normal nap time and see if she doesn't get too ratty and goes to bed easily at night.

DD dropped her nap around 2.5 (she also hit the "terrible 2s" around 18 months) and I knew it was time because she went from going to be at 7pm to fighting it until 9-10pm. At first she'd still need a nap maybe 1-2 days a week, but that didn't last long.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Could it be possible she's getting ready to drop her day nap? You could try one day just giving her "quiet time" for an hour or 2 at normal nap time and see if she doesn't get too ratty and goes to bed easily at night.

DD dropped her nap around 2.5 (she also hit the "terrible 2s" around 18 months) and I knew it was time because she went from going to be at 7pm to fighting it until 9-10pm. At first she'd still need a nap maybe 1-2 days a week, but that didn't last long.
    I'm hoping she isn't trying to drop her day nap yet!! Especially with bubs on the way i want her to hold onto it as long as possible lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

When you dropped the day sleep did you notice that she went to sleep earlier at night?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 20 months and has had a few days of no day sleep lately. She then goes straight to bed at 7pm (or sometimes earlier) & is out like a light in under a minute. She sleeps 12-13 hours straight then. On swimming days, morning outings or traveling she will still have a sleep but if she is not asleep in 30 minutes I get her up and she has quiet time watching her Barney DVD or reading on her fold out couch. Otherwise if she has a late sleep she takes forever to go to sleep at night too. I was hoping she would keep the day time sleep longer too because number 2 is due in December but its not looking good haha! Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    she sounds pretty normal to me for a 2yr old!
    We started to set down firm rules, boundaries and routine at this age. Our DD tested and pushed us to our limits from the momment she was born.
    She started playing up with her day sleep and night slep shortly before DS was born. I wasnt silly, i did not cut out that day nap because i knew i'd need it (for me!) once DS was born. Once she got back into routine with her day sleep - same time everyday, really tire her out beforehand. she was good at night again too. Sleep promoted sleep for my DD and still does at 2.5yrs old. She still has a 3hr day sleep and 7pm bedtime.
    Last edited by B00ts; 22-08-2013 at 15:01.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to B00ts For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    When you dropped the day sleep did you notice that she went to sleep earlier at night?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yep bedtime went back to 7 with no fuss. Like Wannbmummy it would be swimming days etc that she'd still nap. I soooo didn't want her to stop napping so young!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry mate you are in denial! Sounds like she is ready for you to cut the day sleep. I had to do it recently for my 26 mth old. She will still have a day sleep once or twice a week just to catch up, but overall it works out better to have her passed out in bed at 6:45pm

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Drop the day nap! I forced DS to cut his day sleep at 27 months as his bedtime was getting so late. He went straight to 7pm bedtime once I stopped him sleeping.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sounds like jasper before he dropped his day sleep. I was spending as much time getting him to sleep as he was actually sleeping and then not going to sleep until 9-10pm.

But when he dropped it life was so much easier for 1 there was no more fighting for sleep. He was under 2. We still had a rest time, so usually we'd watch finding nemo after lunch. And he started going to sleep at 6:30-7pm pretty much every night. There was an adjustment time where he was cranky going that long without a sleep, but he loved having a long bath in the evening (like 40 minutes - I'd bring a book or iPhone in with me and keep topping up the hot water lol) that kept him going to bed time.

Otherwise, what happens if she keeps playing actively until like 1pm and then keep her up until 8pm before trying to put her to bed? I find if I put the kids down before they're actually tired it takes heaps longer to get them to sleep rather than letting them tire themselves out some more before they go to bed.

Sorry if that's not the advice you're looking for.

What time does she wake up?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (22-08-2013)