+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Your first IVf Cycle.....

Hi all, with a few new ivf'ers around I thought I would ask a couple of questions to those that may have some wisdom they'd like to share.

How did you prepare yourself? Be it vitamins, excercise etc?

what is you top recommended question to ask a FS before starting IVF?

and What is the one thing you wished you knew before you started ?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to the roller coaster of ivf

1. I took elevit for quite a while before ttc. But I am in coq10, elevit, vitamin d and vitamin b complex. After epu will take vitamin e to assist with lining

2. My questions were more relating to hubbies issues, but I didn't have heaps of questions about ivf as he explained everything

3. For some people it can be a quick journey and for others it can be a very long journey! I thought it was very black and white, but we have had a lot of issues that neither of us were expecting. Just because i am young I thought it would be smoothe sailing. I never expected my eggs to be aged beyond my years and have a very very rare problem with my eggs not maturing. Neither did the fs.

Good luck! I hope it's a nice and short journey for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jessie87 For This Useful Post:

CandE  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didn't ask much as we simply didn't know anything about IVF and didn't know what to ask, though found we asked questions when the process started and when we had to go in for ultrasounds and blood tests. I didn't do a lot to prepare before starting, we did take a 5 day holiday to gold coast the month before we started so we were relaxed. I also was a lot more careful with what I aet, and aet better and walked almost daily.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clucky14 For This Useful Post:

CandE  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh had the issue not me so I didn't make any changes. I already took a multi vitamin and wasn't over or underweight and exercised daily so didn't feel I needed to do anything more. Basically went with the flow. I was up front with my employer and work mates, honesty made it easier as I didn't have to lie about time/days off and had such a supportive work crew, they were great and so understanding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

CandE  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies so far. It all helps. I learned so much from our failed IUI's. it's not an easy road and sometimes I don't even know what to ask. I'm not sure if I should be asking for tests or if we have to go through the long process of trial and error. It's such a daunting process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found our FS didn't really have a lot to say until we had done an assessment cycle with so many tests to figure out what we were dealing with. We've actually only seen her twice - once for the initial consult and then to go over all the test results and do all the paperwork to start our first cycle.

Most of my contact has been with the nurses and they have been brilliant, no question is silly and they've always been so helpful. Our clinic also supplied us with a lot of information sheets on all the processes, side effects, etc, so have felt very informed the whole way.

During the assessment cycle I started taking a pregnancy multi and megafol, which I have continued throughout (as well as other meds). I stopped taking anything which was not set out by our FS. I lost a little bit of weight during the assessment cycle (about 5kgs), but once we started our treatment cycle I just made sure I ate healthily and cut back on exercise. I didn't want to put my body under any additional strain, since it was already needing to cope with all the stim drugs and growing extra follicles. I haven't put any of the weight back on either.

I don't know if I would have done any different if we had already been through other treatments, but my philosophy was to follow the instructions of our clinic strictly to the letter and I'm now 7 weeks pregnant on our first cycle. There's so much information out there about all those little extras which some people use to try to improve their chances, but at the end of the day I felt it was best to put my total trust into what the FS recommended for my case, and it paid off

Good Luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

CandE  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before IVF I was taking Elevit while TTC, our issues were MFI but I still took CoQ10 and Vitamin D tablets so I would be in tip top condition for transfer. I contribute our 9 great embryos to the CoQ10. DH was on Menevit and CoQ10 as well. As for exercise I kept it light but its recommended to keep up what ever resime you have now and not to add anything new to it.

Like the girls have said questions were pretty much covered by the FS and as Im a serial researcher I was already confident with what he was telling me.

Something I wish I knew before. This is the longest process, from our inital appointment with the FS to our actual cycle starting was 4 months. Thankfully I was lucky first time and now 7weeks pregant with 8 snow babies ready for siblings.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wishnhope For This Useful Post:

CandE  (27-08-2013)