+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read it as stroke!

So you break the seal and wait five minutes before putting him back on? She starts rooting and whining as soon as I break it and cries not long after.

sent from my magical device

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    I can't remember, honestly, but I tried it as soon as she started comfort sucking as the book suggests (I haven't read it but found it online). It makes me hate breastfeeding sometimes and we worked so hard to still be going!

How long did your ds do it?

Ds2 is 7.5 months & still feeds to sleep but once he is asleep I can break suction and put him down. At 12 weeks no chance. Many sleep time battles! He probably started getting better at around 5 months?

It's really really hard. Just remember that to your baby you are her only link to survival so it makes sense she wants to be close to you. Have you tried a carrier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had success with the method grumpybump described with DS2 who is a massive comfort sucker. I would try to keep persisting if you can, when I first started it took many, many, many tries of detaching, him rooting around, putting him back on, detaching after a minute and after awhile he would finally stop rooting. I had to wait until he was in quite a deep sleep before trying to detach, so you might be trying too early? I started this around 12 weeks I think, he's now 4 months and I can detach easily not long after he's gone to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found if he doesn't start sucking again when I tickle his chin he is asleep but he will start rooting if he wasn't really gone yet.
    I don't wait 5 min if he is crying but if it's just rooting I will cuddle instead. He usually stays asleep. Then I put him down.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope this helps,

My son in the early months got quite bad wind pain so after talking to dr I bought him gripe water. It's all natural can be bought at coles or woollies and perfectly safe it's for wind and griping pain?? Anyway you are meant to give 5mls whenever needed

although my son grew out of wind pain he loved the taste of the gripe water so I would dip his dummy in it, whenever he woke or I couldn't get him to go down by himself. I'm telling you it worked!!! He associated the taste with sleep and that's all I would need to do he is now 2 and goes down and sleeps perfectly obviously I haven't used the gripe on him for a long time now but I now have 6 month girl and am doing the same for her!! She sleeps in her own room in cot and sleeps through night 98% of time.

It is definitely worth a try? Might help accept a dummy?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoppaholic For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tried the chin technique and it worked for us. I usually wait until she had the longest break in sucking then grab close to the nipple squash it flat and pull out when she's not sucking. Then quickly hold her chin shut.

We only feed to sleep at the night feed so she's already zonked which may help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was the same, and it wasn't until she slept with her arms out that she started sucking her thumb and self settle without the breast.

I think she was about 4 months, and I started releasing one arm for the day naps until she fell asleep one day on her activity mat with both arms out and I never swaddled her again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Once she is asleep, add long as she's fully asleep, I can get her of, it's just having to feed her every to sleep every time.

We give her gripe water occasionally... Might try dipping a dummy in it!