+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Settling without boob

Hi all,

I hope this is the right section.

My dd is 12 weeks and feeds to sleep. I'm not terribly happy about it (she falls asleep instead of getting full which caused pretty big issues early on) but it's not a huge deal. What is a huge deal is that she comfort sucks after she's eaten and I can't easily get my nipple out of her mouth without waking her. Last week and this she has started dropping it sometimes but will then root for it again before I can put her down. I also have to hold her for ages before I can put her down and it's killing me.

I know this is a wonder week for her but she has gone from sleeping 4 -6 hours at night to waking after every single sleep cycle and needing to be fed/comfort sucked to sleep. She'll sleep about 40 minutes, need settling for about 30, then sleep for another 40. My dh can't settle her, the only thing that works is boob.

We have been cosleeping the past few days because I need to get some sleep but I sleep terribly and am really worried about her overheating. And she still wakes after every cycle but it's easier to boob her when she's already in bed.

I guess I'm looking for a couple of things: 1, if we cosleep for this wonder week, will she go back to sleeping in her bassinet or will she be used to cosleeping? Should I just resign myself to being exhausted and keep putting her down in the bassinet?
    2, any, no cry, advice on getting her to realise my nipple is not a sleeping aid? I've tried dummies but she won't take any of them.

sent from my magical device

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once shes asleep try breaking the suction & then holding her chin underneath gently to kind of hold her mouth closed. She will probably root around for the nipple so let her do that & then try again 30 secs later. It might take half a dozen attempts but should work.

You can also try rocking her while feeding to sleep, then break suction but keep rocking, movement might help.

Its hard, my DS2 was exactly the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry I don't have any tips regarding the comfort sucking, but I just wanted to share my experience with occasional co-sleeping. My daughter sleeps in our bed very occasionally when we just can't get her back to sleep at 2, 3, or 4am. Sometimes she does it 2-3 nights in a row, then she'll happily go for 2-3 weeks before needing to come into our bed for a night. So if it gets you some sleep, I say go with it. With the overheating, we pull our pillows to the outside of the bed so our heads are right on the edge of them, there's about a 1m gap between them, and put our daughters head in the gap. That way, she's not touching us, isn't near our pillows and doesn't have the blankets on her.

I hope you get some responses regarding the comfort sucking.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (02-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried the hold her chin thing and we went 25 times before I gave in!

And for cosleeping, she just cries if I don't hold her close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anybody else have any ideas?

(Yup, shamelessly bumping my own thread! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    I tried the hold her chin thing and we went 25 times before I gave in!

Hmmm was she in a deep sleep?

You may just have to ride it out - it will get better I promise! DS was exactly the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't remember, honestly, but I tried it as soon as she started comfort sucking as the book suggests (I haven't read it but found it online). It makes me hate breastfeeding sometimes and we worked so hard to still be going!

How long did your ds do it?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't have any advice I'm sorry, because at 10 months my son is suddenly doing exactly the same thing (well not suddenly, wonder week time!), but just wanted to second that when he gets through these he goes back to sleeping all night in his crib. So I say do what works for both of you while this stage lasts. Also, if she's waking so often then you can keep an eye on her temp, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hang in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun. Just wanted to offer some ideas.
    Ds2 is nearly 7 months and still has weeks when he feeds to sleep. Teething at the moment so he is using me as a dummy.
    My Midwife said to keep him feeding by striking his face or a tickle under his chin.
    If he doesn't start sucking again for 20 to 30 seconds then he is asleep and to break suction and move my boob out of reach.
    I can't feed in a cradle hold so this might be easier for me than for someone that can.
    I find if he does root then put him back on after 5 min or if he starts getting upset. He isn't full. But most of the time he just smacks his lips a few times then is asleep and I can put him down.
    We co sleep most mornings at the moment but he naps in his bassanet (porta cot) and starts the night there. Until the 3-4 am feed.
    I hope this helps you.
    It does get better.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just re read and Omg.
    Not striking his face!
    Stroking like a tickle.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app