+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How you carried / carrying and baby's gender

I'm just wondering how many people out there carried a certain way or are carrying a certain way and know what they are having? ie. people look at you and say oh your having a boy or girl.
    I think the old wives tale says if you look like you have a beach ball up for jumper than its a boy and if your bigger in the bum, its a girl. Love to hear stories about this.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've only heard the carrying low = boy, high = girl. Got a boy on board and a low bump that occasionally changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I looked like i had a beach ball stuffed under my shirt and quite high. I had a girl. I have no bum to speak of!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found these old wives tales on belly belly.com.au

Old Wives’ Tale #1 – Linea Nigra

Latin for ‘black line’, a linea nigra may appear on your belly during pregnancy (some women wont get it – doesn’t mean anything!). This is a purple/brownish line which extends down the middle of your belly to your pubic area, about 1cm in width. It’s known that hormones cause the linea nigra pigmentation, but it’s not known why it forms in the vertical line that it does.

The old wives tale is this – if you get a línea nigra and it runs from your pubic area to your belly button only, it’s a girl, and if it goes all the way up from your pubic area to the bottom-most part of you rib cage, then it’s a boy.

Old Wives’ Tale #2 – Carrying High or Low?

This is a well known old wives tale – so many people will want to look at your belly and think they can guess just from looking! So as the tale goes, if you are carrying low, it’s a boy, or if you’re carrying high it’s a girl. We wont tell them that the way the baby is carried is actually a reflection of your own body shape, muscle, baby’s position and other physical factors!

Old Wives’ Tale #3 – The Draino Thingo

There is an old wives tale that involves mixing your urine with Draino but not only is Draino dangerous and bad for you, it’s bad for the environment too. So we don’t recommend this one.

Old Wives’ Tale #4 – Is Your Skin Dry or Soft?

If your skin is dry, you’re said to be having a boy – and if it’s soft, then a girl is on the way.

Old Wives’ Tale #5 – What’s Baby’s Heart rate?

First, to set the record straight, until it’s born, your baby’s heart rate will not be affected by it’s gender. But so they say, if you’re carrying a girl, then baby’s heart rate will be above 140bpm (beats per minute). A boy is said to have a heart rate under 140bpm. A study published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine (1996) has dismissed this theory, as has other research. Your baby’s heart rate will change often during a pregnancy, depending on the baby’s age and it’s movement. Anything from 120-160bpm is normal for an unborn baby.

Old Wives’ Tale #6 – Your Flowing Locks

Has your hair become thinner and dull? Or full-bodied and glossy? Thin and dull says girl, gorgeous and glossy says a boy.

Old Wives’ Tale #7 – Where Are You Carrying Extra Weight?

Even those extra pregnancy kilos are said to give us an insight into your baby’s gender! If you are carrying extra weight at the front, then you’re having a boy… but if you are carrying extra weight on your bum and hips, then you have been carrying a girl. What about dad-to-be? If he’s gaining weight with you, apparently you’re having a girl. If he’s put on no weight, a boy for you!

Old Wives’ Tale #8 – Numbers…

Because if you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd – then it’s a girl on the way. If the resulting number is even, then it’s a boy for you.

Old Wives’ Tale #9 – Sweet, Salty or Sour?

Another well known old wives tale!!! Are you craving sweet foods like juice, fruits and chocolate? if so, old wives say that you could be having a girl. But if you’re craving sour or salty foods, then you could be having a boy. It’s also said that if you are having a boy, you will crave protein like meat and dairy. I have trouble believing this one because I think we’d be overrun by a population of females – we all love chocolate pregnant or not!

Old Wives’ Tale #10 – Wedding Ring Test

Get your wedding ring (or other ring/needle/pin) and attach it with a strand of your hair or some string. Lie down and dangle the ring over your belly. If it starts moving in circles, you are having a boy, or if it moves like a pendulum from side to side, then you are having a girl.

Old Wives’ Tale #11 – Got Morning Sickness?

Did you experience morning sickness in early pregnancy? If you did, then you’re said to be carrying a girl, but if you didn’t have morning sickness, then it’s a boy. Oh! That one was actually true for me!

Old Wives’ Tale #12 – How About Those Cold Feet?

If your feet get colder than they used to pre-pregnancy, it’s a sign you have a boy on the way. If your feet are the same, then it’s a girl!

Old Wives’ Tale #13 – How Do You Look?

Do you look better than ever while pregnant? Or has the pregnancy done your looks no favours? As it goes, if you look great during pregnancy, then you are carrying a boy. If you don’t look too flash, you’re having a girl, because she’s stolen all your good looks!

Old Wives’ Tale #14 – The Breast Test!

If you look in the mirror at your breasts, which one is larger? If it’s the right one, you’re carrying a boy and for a larger left breast, then it’s a girl. Which only leaves one question… if your breasts are both the same size, does that mean one of each? I’ll leave you with that to ponder!

Old Wives’ Tale #15 – North or South?

When you sleep, is your pillow north or south? If it’s north, then expect a boy, or south means a girl is on the way.

Old Wives’ Tale #16 – Pimples, Schimiples…

If you get acne during pregnancy, apparently you’re having a girl, and if you don’t, then you’re carrying a boy. Want to know the real reason you get acne? Check out our article, Acne During Pregnancy.

Old Wives’ Tale #17 – Are You A Lefty or a Righty?

When you sleep, do you sleep on your left? Because if you do, then it’s a boy for you! On your right, a girl is in sight.

Old Wives’ Tale #18 – Check Out Your Wee!

Okay…. now apparently if you have bright yellow urine, then you’re carrying a boy, but if it’s dull / clear, then you’re carrying a girl. On a serious note though, if you have dark urine, up your water intake as you may be dehydrated.

Old Wives’ Tale #19 -What Does Your Belly Look Like?

A basketball or a watermelon? Because if it looks more like a basketball, then old wives say boy, but if it more resembles a watermelon then it’s a girl.

Old Wives’ Tale #20 – Hairy Legs?

Has the hair on your legs grown faster than normal? Or has it grown just like normal? Because if it’s growing faster than it did pre-pregnancy, then you’re said to be having a boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got two boys and am 22wks with a girl.

I carried low with my boys and am carrying high with this one.

Old Wives’ Tale #1 – Linea Nigra

None with either of my boys but I did get hairier with ds2 and this bub

Old Wives’ Tale #2 – Carrying High or Low?

Low with my boys. High with this girl

Old Wives’ Tale #3 – The Draino Thingo

Haven't done this.

Old Wives’ Tale #4 – Is Your Skin Dry or Soft?

My skin is super dry this time. It was the same with my boys

Old Wives’ Tale #5 – What’s Baby’s Heart rate?

My boys had hr over 170 this ones hr sits at 140

Old Wives’ Tale #6 – Your Flowing Locks

Thin and dull with all three. More so with this one and ds2 due to vitamin deficiencies from hg.

Old Wives’ Tale #7 – Where Are You Carrying Extra Weight?

I put on 25kg with my first boy. 15kg with my second boy after 8kg loss due to hg. This time im 22wks and have only gained 1kg due to hg. It's all in my belly though.

Old Wives’ Tale #8 – Numbers…
    Odd for my first boy so incorrect
    Even for my second boy so correct
    Even for this one so incorrect

Old Wives’ Tale #9 – Sweet, Salty or Sour?
    Craving sweet so bad. So correct here. I wanted savory with my boys.

Old Wives’ Tale #10 – Wedding Ring Test

I tried this and it went round then up and down then around then up and down. So it didn't work.

Old Wives’ Tale #11 – Got Morning Sickness?

I had mild morning sickness with my first boy. Hyperemesis with my second boy and hyperemesis with this girl.

Old Wives’ Tale #12 – How About Those Cold Feet?

True for me.

Old Wives’ Tale #13 – How Do You Look?

I didn't look good with any of my kids.

Old Wives’ Tale #14 – The Breast Test!

Not sure on this one.

Old Wives’ Tale #15 – North or South?

All with head south

Old Wives’ Tale #16 – Pimples, Schimiples…
    More pimples with this girl.

Old Wives’ Tale #17 – Are You A Lefty or a Righty?

Always on my left.

Old Wives’ Tale #18 – Check Out Your Wee!

Hg causes dehydration so can't tell with this one

Old Wives’ Tale #19 -What Does Your Belly Look Like?

True for me. Except near the end it looked like a watermelon with both my boys.

Old Wives’ Tale #20 – Hairy Legs?

Hair is very slow growing with this bub. Can't remember with my others.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    carried high for ds and am carrying low for dd.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I carried high and had a girl. A friends daughter in law was pregnant at the same time and was carrying different to me, so the friend assumed that DIL was having a boy, it was a girl.

My extra weight gain has been in my hips and butt

I craved salty food and didn't crave sweet stuff (probably cos I was eating sweet stuff anyway)

Linea nigra stopped at belly button

MsFaery, what do you think you're having?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was all belly, had the beachball look... had a girl.
    This time it's too early to tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two boys and both times I carried low and looked like I had a beach ball stuffed up my shirt. Only early days with #3 but will be interesting to see if I carry the same and what gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds1 - I had a large oval shaped stomach. And a bum (normally I have no bum). My 'pregnancy glow' was just a sheen of sweat from throwing up all day, every day. I put on about 27kg (woo ) I did crave hot chips. Not much sweet things.

Ds2 - looked like I shoved a bl00dy big beach ball under my top. I got a bum again. Also had the 'glow', for the same reason as above. I put on about 30kg (again woo) I craved healthy food. A crunchy salad was my idea of a perfect breakfast/snack/lunch/dinner/desert.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app