+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone know much about undescended testes?

Does anyone know much about undescended testes? My boys testes haven't dropped down yet. He is a month old and came three weeks early. Would him coming early contribute to them not dropping yet?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, higher risk in prems for sure.

Best get them checked - they can keep an eye on them. My DS1 had one at birth, and then we were told it was all good, only to find out last year that it hadn't come down and now he will need an operation - but it is too late, they can already feel that the testes is damaged, will probably not work and will have a much higher risk of cancer. I am livid.

If it doesn't come down, then it may need an operation - but they get in there early to prevent the testes being damaged.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

bulldoglover  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok. I have a review appointment with the paed at the start of September. Hoping that they come down :-/
    Thank you for your reply. I definitely wanted to know the worst case scenario before going in and being told that at the appointment. At least I'll be prepared.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The probably will keep an eye on them/it over a year - and if it hasn't come down in that time, then they will start talking about surgery. Usually they will come down on their own - especially in babies who come earlier than full term.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldoglover View Post
    Oh ok. I have a review appointment with the paed at the start of September. Hoping that they come down :-/
    Thank you for your reply. I definitely wanted to know the worst case scenario before going in and being told that at the appointment. At least I'll be prepared.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a bit of a relief then :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 27-04-2014 at 20:40.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's sounds not fun. Do we know what causes undescended testes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The testes have an inbuilt protection device to draw them close to the body for warmth or drop them lower to cool down for optimum sperm temperature control, so when they are in utero they are descended until just before delivery. Some of them maybe didn't get the chemical to release until later on etc.
    My son had one, then it came down, went back up, came down etc etc which they can do. Came down fine but then he had bilateral hernia and that shut off the blood supply to the more sensitive teste for too long. So we are still in the same boat as if it hadn't come down and was damaged. That's why if they don't come down within a set time they operate.
    It won't work, will be a smaller size because it won't be producing sperm and will need a close watch. Makes you start questioning a male's self esteem etc. If it is such a massive size difference (which it already looks to be) as one is doing all the work how does that impact a teenage male's confidence? All things to also watch out for too I suppose.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notably Nutty For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2013),bulldoglover  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who would have thought the testes were so in depth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 7 month old DS was 3 weeks early.
    Both testes descended at birth but I've not been able to find one for months. Mentioned it at 6 month check, was ultrasounded a week later.
    He has a "retractile" testicles....ie they could move it down to the scrotum but it prefers to be up...the other is down but moves up to inguinal canal.
    Said to monitor it once walking as gravity will help it stay down.

BEEBS - that's awful. I didn't realise it could be so severe