+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When did your child stop being a fussy eater?

As a mother to 2 fussy kids who don't eat most veggies, just want to know when did your fussy eater stop being so fussy? Most people say kids grow out of it. so what was your experience like? Did it just happen gradually? Did you have to be proactive about it? Did you see someone about it? Please give me hope!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I can't say for my children yet but I can tell you I was a fussy eater. I wouldn't eat food touching, didn't like sauces, wouldn't eat salad or a lot of vegetables. I have grown out of it. It started gradually when I was 15 my Dad started giving me different food and I realised that I liked it.

I probably would have liked it earlier if I had tried it, but I was stubborn and refused to.

I guess because I wasn't forced to eat food I didn't like it didn't make meals negative for me and I tried it when I was ready. Just keep offering but don't force it and hopefully your kids will gradually be less fussy.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 became a fussy eater around 12 months and started improving around 2. When he was fussy I was so concerned with getting food into him that I was making him different meals to me and DH. When he was a bit over 18 months I started offering what we were eating and we all sat down to dinner together. If he didn't eat dinner he got nothing else. We didn't make a big deal about not eating though, just encouraged a few times to try then left it at that. At the start he often went to bed with no dinner, but had generally eaten well during the day, so I wasn't too worried (and he was a good weight etc, so I wasn't concerned a few skipped dinners would affect his health/ weight).

His eating started vastly improving at 2 - he would try different things, but would still generally leave his veg. Now at 2.5 he even eats some of his veggies .

I also tried to hide veg in things I knew he would eat, like heaps of grated veg in spag bol sauce etc. Oh I also stopped giving him snacks late in the afternoon - he was snacking at 4pm and then of course wouldn't touch dinner at 5pm, so I cut out late snacks and he was more likely to try what was offered for dinner.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 21-08-2013 at 08:20.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS started refusing just about everything at 12mths. About 2 months ago (about 22 mths) things started to improve. He is still fussy but I am gradually adding food that he will eat to the list, no veggies but he has fruit at every meal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will keep offering. Ds actually surprised me the other day by eating snow peas and having a try of cauliflower! Dd on the other hand is going backward and not eating stuff she used to which is probably more frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a fussy eater who is seven. He eats a healthy though limited range. I have a five year old who will try anything.

I've given up fighting with Mr Fussy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (21-08-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 is almost 6 and is fussy as! I can reason with her a little bit now, if I offer a new food I try to insist she takes one taste (and if she then says no, that's cool, she doesn't have to eat it). If that fails, she has to lick, and if that fails she has to sniff it lol. She's fussy about everything, colour, taste, texture, temperature. I could give her carrots, chicken, peas and corn separately on a plate and she will eat them, but mix them up in a bowl? Forget it! Drives me mad, but as PP said, she eats a limited but good range of fruits & veg now so...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (21-08-2013)