+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chicken Pox

A child in DD's class (aged 5) has been diagnosed with chicken pox. DD has been immunized but came home from school lethargic, and not wanting to eat, fell asleep on the sofa - very unlike her. I've read that these are some of the first symptoms. While I'm not too worried about her getting it as she's fully immunized, DS is nearly 17 months and so hasn't had the varicella vaccine. I'm going to call the GP in the morning to see if he can get it a month early, or if its too late now seeing as he's been in contact with the children from DDs class, and we may as well wait till the 18 month mark. Do you know how long it takes for the vaccine to take affect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure, but just wanted to say I hope it isn't that. What a nightmare!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Bellaleggos  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how long it takes for the vaccine to 'work'. But your dd would of already passed it on to your ds if she has it as they are contagious before they break out into spots.

But also just letting you know it is actually really common to get chicken pox even if you are immunised - it just means you get a milder dose.

You should start seeing spots tomorrow if your dd has them as it is usually 24hours after the lethargic/flu like symptoms appear.

Good luck - fingers crossed they don't have it!
    Last edited by mummyrissa; 20-08-2013 at 23:27.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I got cp when I was 27 and it took two weeks until the spots came out. I was so ill for two weeks and was wrongly diagnosed with heaps of different things - including mono.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be the only one, but i got chicken pox twice, yes twice!! Plus immunisations are not 100% for chicken pox, so she might have caught it and passed it on to your son. The spots might take some time to appear.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mommyindec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The older style vaccine can be given within 3 days of contact with an infectious person and still be of some benefit.
    And yep, you can get cp twice, I did but then again I also got German measles twice too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies. DD woke up fine this morning. Not as much of an appetite but no spots. So I think she may be safe. I called the GP and spoke to a nurse who suggested DS get the vaccine earlier so we're off to the GP at 4pm. He woke up with a snotty nose after a very unsettled night but that may just be daycare germs (nothing unusual there!)