+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Struggling to fit meals around a big day nap.

Hi all! Il hoping to get some advice on my almost 17month old DD2.

Since dropping from two naps to one nap we have gone from catnapping to one lovely long nap that is usually 2-3 hours long. This nap is wonderful as far as getting the housework in order (and a cuppa and a daily dose of some trashy TV) but is has left me struggling with feeding her properly which sounds stupid, but I just can't seem to get 3 proper 'meals' into her.

There's a few issues that contribute to this. One is she isn't much of a breakfast eater. So she'll usually just play with her toast or fling her cereal and then she'll ask for her banana at around 10ish. I have tried offering banana at breakfast time or cereal at 10, doesn't work. Has to be nar-nar at 10 only, no alternatives. So that's breakfast out the window, can I count a 10am banana as breakfast?

Also, we have kinder for DD1 3 times a week so drop off at 9am and pick up at 2pm. This means DD2's nap needs to fit in between this, she goes to bed at 11am and sleeps til 1:30 usually. This means she is too full from her banana at 10am to eat lunch before nap time and after nap time ill be lucky to get her to nibble on a sandwich in the car to pick up DD2. If I left it til after I get home she wouldn't be eating lunch til 2:30!!!

I can't move her nap forward, I've tried that.

So being the awful mother that I am, I've allowed her to eat banana for breakfast, sometimes sandwich or piece of cheese and crackers for lunch, snack food such as sweet rice cakes, yoghurt or a kids muesli bar for afternoon tea and then she'll usually eat a huge dinner (same as, if not more than her older sister).

Oh and she has 2 breast feeds a day, one at waking up (sometimes she refuses this and still won't have breakfast) and one at night before bed.

Sometimes she'll have a bit of cows milk in a sippy cup as I read her a book before her nap.

Any ideas on how I can do this better? And good breakfast ideas that I could try? Is she eating enough? (She is tiny, 25th percentile for weight, average for height).

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think what you're already doing is fine.

It seems to work for her.

As long as she is growing and has plenty of wet & soiled nappies there is no problem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't see a problem with that, sounds perfect to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree.. Don't see a problem either. She will let you know if she wants more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I find toddlers work better on say 5 small meals a day than 3 set ones anyway and my DS at that age preferred to graze all day instead of eating big meals
    The only problem I have with the banana is that I think its best to rotate and give a wide variety of different foods , as an example I rotate between 4 breakfasts ( toast, cereal, eggs and pancakes) that way it gives them variety and I think will make them less fussy!

Try maybe making her banana pancakes or offering eggs with her morning banana , or adding yogurt and changing the fruit every day? my DS is not really a cereal fan so rarely eats it , this is the age they can start getting fussy so you want to try and introduce as many new foods as you can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds fine to me.

Other breakfast ideas, cut up fruit & yoghurt to dip fruit into, scrambled eggs, omelete, baked beans, soft boiled egg & toast soldiers, vege sticks & avocado dip or cream ,cheese dip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the replies! It just feels like I'm not feeding her enough, I guess after re-reading my post that she is probably getting enough, it's just not in the traditional 'sit down together and eat' sense so it feels not quite right to me.

Thanks Elijahs Mum for the tips on switching the food around. She is generally pretty good with eating different foods but she is very attached to her nar-nars at the moment she also loves apples, strawberries, watermelon etc but hates being confined to her chair to eat them or loses patience if I have to prepare it for her. I think I might have to start packing her a lunch at night so I have everything on hand and ready to eat to avoid getting stuck in a rut

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had that problem a few times, DD is a good sleeper and she has slept right through lunch, first few times I'd freak out and but really as long as you're offering foods through out the day and she's not going hungry I don't think it's an issue, I totally understand the need for structured meals but if its just not working then go with the flow. She's having a good nap and eating when she's hungry... nothing wrong with that.
    I think a banana at 10am is fantastic! Breakfast ideas: pancakes, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, beans on toast.
    As for having finger foods/snaks for lunch I think for the time being till she can have a shorter nap is no big deal, maybe try to give her things like steamed veggies, cheese, shredded chicken... healthy stuff that isn't too processed.
    Also I'd consider 1pm lunch time, a late lunch but not out of the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is the same sleeps from 11 - 1/1:30 I give her lunch usually about 2.
    I don't think it's a weird time to have lunch at all. If she's sleeping then she's obviously not hungry.
    I would just make sure you're offering plenty of water and as elijahs mum said vary the snacks and fruit up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    honestly, if she's happy & healthy, and it doesn't bother you, i don't see the issue. No requirement to have 3 square meals if it isn't needed