+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TotSnot View Post
    BlissedOut - Why are you against it also?? would love to hear peoples views.

Mostly for the same reasons as Sonja. My body has been through hell producing kids, a c-section is quite significant surgery too. I wouldn't want to heal from both that and my tubes being tied.

A vasectomy is more simple than a tubal ligation from what I have read. It's also easier to reverse/get around than if you have your tubes tied, just in case you do change your mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I had my tubes tied during my 4th daughter (3rd c/s). The procedure was only an extra 5mins. My first and second c/s were the easiest recovery but my third was a bit tougher but I don't think it was to do with the tubal. If I was to do it all over again I'd never of done it. My periods used to be known existent now they last for 2 weeks and are heavy with spotting in between. Massive weight gain from hormonal imbalance plus a list of other things. Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone but I wish my OB had of informed me of the possible side effects before I had it done.
    Gosh, I didn't know this. My period has gone from very light to extremely heavy since my second csection, I thought TL might make it light again. Grrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is very interesting, a close friend of mine is also convinced having her tubes tied has caused a lot of her issues too and wishes she never had it done.

The ob im seeing brushed my concerns off saying oh its a simple process with no side effects. I wasn't convinced. Im seeing my midwife today and im going to discuss it further with her before deciding.

Thanks for this discussion ladies xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm only onto number 3 & this will be my first c section. Number 3 was a surprise, we were adamant we were done at 2 kids, 5 years ago. Dh for stupid man pride reasons refused back then & the years since to have a vasectomy. So we relied on the pill instead that worked up until early this year & I was going through the process of selling my business & all the stress that was brought on by that caused me to develop some mild mental health issues such as anxiety. This would cause me to random vomit & evacuate my bowels during a panic / anxiety attack. Hence the pill failed.

Due to this & recent studies into the yaz pill which is what I was taking I asked my ob about me having the procedure & he didn't recommend it due to me previously having no problems, my age??, and I'm fit & healthy??? I thought his reasons were a bit left of field. He instead pushed the marina, coil, iud, injections & implanon on me instead if I didn't want the pill.

I wanted something permanent & not to spend the rest of my child bearing years on hormones or other contraptions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a tubal ligation at my fourth c-section 12 years ago. I did not notice any difference in recovery at all, they use the same incision so there's no extra cuts.

I believe from my research the increased failure rate if done at section is if they use clips and is related to swelling and extra blood flow which goes down after delivery, mine were cut and cauterised so no increased risk.

Saying all of that I did find my cycles changed after my tubal ligation (could be a coincidence) and I regretted having it done when my marriage ended and I remarried and wanted another baby. We had to use IVF to have our beautiful new baby girl. After 2 failed cycles I had a lap and hyst and they found that my tubal ligation had caused hydrosalpinges in the remaining part of the tubes attached to my uterus (fluid in the tubes) and this was leaking toxic fluid into the uterus stopping our embryos implanting. I had the rest of the tubes removed and continued with IVF with a successful outcome after 4 transfers and many $'s.

So in summary the procedure itself didn't create any extra pain or issues in recovery but I feel it did impact my cycles.

Good luck for everyone's c-sections, I had my 5th c-section 5 weeks ago.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to workingmumma For This Useful Post:

Twinkling  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder what it is about ligation that changes cycles so much. My friend began hemorrhaging with every period after hers but after questioning my ob he dismissed it as coincidence.

A lot of other women online in related forums are saying similar things. Interesting...

How did your recovery go after your 5th cesarean?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My recovery was fantastic, I was very surprised as I expected it to take a while, and was quite scared about it, but I was up and walking comfortably the next day. I made sure I had regular pain relief which helped as well. I've been pain free since about day 2, and my day 1 pain was quite bearable. There are risks with so many Caesars but we discussed those with our OB before falling pregnant so went in fully aware.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to workingmumma For This Useful Post:

Twinkling  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to the effect on cycles after tubal ligation I found they got heavier and I had more pain with my period after having it done. 12 yrs on and it was finally settling down again before falling pregnant, hopefully it stays that way.

It doesn't make much sense to me why it has an effect on cycles as they don't stop ovulation, I wonder if it's due to reabsorbing the egg as it can no longer travel to the uterus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your bub too, I forgot to say that before! I don't know why it would have an effect on cycles either as you're still ovulating. Maybe the body just knows something isn't right! They still don't know everything there is to know about the mechanisms behind the female reproductive system, IMO!

Very happy to hear about your positive 5th cesarean experience too. I had a bad experience with my 2nd, post op hemorrhage, burst hematoma, wound infection etc etc and it took me 9 years to face the idea of having another one. And although my 3rd one turned out fine, I'm still crapping myself about this one.

Anyway I've decided not to have my tubes tied now, it's very permanent, I can always do it later and I don't think I've thought it through enough. My heart sinks a little every time I think about not having the option of having another, even though I don't really want another. That sounds silly but it's enough for me to put it on hold for now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Twinkling :-)

Good luck with your c-section, I hope it all goes very smoothly for you this time. Please let us know how it goes.

I think if there's any doubt at all about having a tubal ligation then it's good to hold off.

Look forward to hearing of the safe arrival of your little one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to workingmumma For This Useful Post:

Twinkling  (26-08-2013)