+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spinoff: cleaning to get house ready to rent out

We are going to lease out our place and I was just wondering how clean does it need to be prior to renting it out? I was planning on cleaning it myself but after reading the other thread didn't realise how much was expected eg inside and outside windows, dust on doors etc. would the tenant be able to insist on a professional standard of cleaning before moving in? I am thinking of hiring a pro but would have to convince dh. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would clean it to the standards you'd like it left in when your tenants move out. So if you'd like it pro cleaned when your tenants leave, have it pro cleaned for them to move into.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

ExcitedMummyxxx  (20-08-2013),HowCrazyCool  (20-08-2013),Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd get a pro in to have it professionally cleaned - it's usually a couple hundred dollars.

You will be able to claim it as a tax deduction.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    My sil had her place professionally cleaned before she rented it out. I think if you expect to get it back in the best condition possible then you want to make sure it is cleaned properly in the first place. Whether you do that yourself or not is up to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think u in any way need to have it professionally cleaned I guess it just depends if u can be bothered doing it yourself or not.

You cant expect a tenant will get it profesionally cleaned when they vacate ( except the carpets) so just keep that in mind.

As a tenant ive always cleaned our rentals top to bottom when we have moved out but when we moved to the place we are in now I had to clean when we moved in and the real estate agent said it was in an acceptable condition :/ I disagreed so I guess everyones standard of "clean" differs!!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't necessarily have it professionally cleaned but no dust and clean windows are a standard clean IMO. We cleaned our property ourselves and gave all the walls and ceilings a fresh coat of paint before the tenants moved in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We rented a place once that was filthy & the last ppl to live there had been the owners. I couldn't believe they had left their own property in that state, it was appalling. We spent a whole day cleaning from top to bottom before we moved in. And then when we were moving out apparently the owner was attending the inspection with the property mgr to check up on how we left it. Better than we found it actually!
    So yeah, I'd say don't do that. Lol. Leave it in the state you want it left in.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We always recommend owners get it professionally cleaned the first time , we copy the receipt and give it to the tenants with the inspection report and we find most of them call the same cleaners back when they vacate ( they don't have to but at least they know it will be cleaned in the same condition when they moved in which is part of their agreement) and yes it's tax deductible

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. It's good to know that it's tax deductible !
    I will shamefully admit that I have never cleaned windows...only wiped down windowsills. We hardly ever open windows and we have shutters so you don't even really see the windows.
    I will call around and get some quotes then have a chat to dh about it. I must say I don't know how people have time to clean. Just vacuuming and mopping floors and wiping down kitchen countertops, cabinets and walls took me sooo long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rented out our place, we got "the list" off the agent we were using and told them to treat is as they would a tenant if it wasn't to standard let us know. We pretty much cleaned it how we wanted it to be when we move in to a place.
    We also left some light bulbs and toilet rolls just to be nice

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-08-2013)