+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before DD was born I was all 'no tv for my children till they're so and so old, and its only documentaries and educational DVD" that's me hysterically laughing at myself for even thinking that!!!
    I used to watch tv way too much so since DD I've made an effort to cut back, I record shows I want to watch and turn it on when I have a free half an hour, she watches tv in the afternoon when I need to get something done, she likes to dance to the bubble guppies and jungle junction, she plays while the tv is on and will watch when music comes on so she's no "glued" to it.
    DH will watch sport with her, after 6pm and weekend it's always on, not sure how to curb that habit...
    I think a little tv is ok, I try to not have it on all day for no reason, avoid shows with commercials or fast forward through, and watch appropriate shows (I avoid trash tv, seems to suck you in somehow) so far we haven't had an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't own a tv. We're like you - when we are sick, we cuddle in front of the computer and watch DVDs. And maybe we will have a family movie night every few weeks and watch a DVD. Everything in moderation. But not usually watching TV.

I also find my DDs behaviour is much poorer if she's had a lot of TV.

It sounds like something you're uncomfortable with. If you're not keen on her watching tv regularly any more, you might just have to explain it to her and weather the fall out. Maybe plan something distracting around 11am when she usually asks, like a walk to the park.

We have plenty set up around the house that DD can engage with to keep her occupied aside TV. Little 'stations' of music, dress ups, blocks, trains, farm animals, tea party, her bike, a slide, a 'nature basket' of things she's collected, puppets, play dough, craft. And her books, which is some down time. And her 'calm down corner' with quiet activities for relaxing.

I'm sure you've also got your set up! I just thought I'd mention ours as ideas, maybe some new and novel will break your DD out of the habit?!?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Dreamer1  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We haven't had tv for around 7 or 8 years now and it's great. Our kids never ask for it even though they know others have had it. They watch a movie or two on weekends and sometimes something like operation ouch on the computer on abc iview. I've just put a DVD on for the two youngest while the other kids are at school as they are both tired and grumpy from playgroup this morning (did obstacle courses and played soccer all morning.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer1 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback! Yay ex factor!!! Though they could hold back on the drama and fear and tears.... Geez. I've read the half hour rule too, but I was wondering what real people do? Wow, I'm terrible :/. I totally gave in all week. It got to 11am at the latest and I'm like ok, fraggles it is! She seemed to relax once she got it on and then watch for a bit then go off and play, come back, go play etc etc. holy moly though, I'd just leave the telly on til nap time, which was say 2/3 hours??? And then still do the night tv thing for an hour or two!! Again she come and go. Agh!! In my defence, it's been really crappy weather here, and we both needed to recover. On a win though... She didn't ask for fraggles til 11 today, then got distracted, so we didn't turn the tv on til tonight!! Hurrah!! Maybe it's passed... Fingers crossed...
    You're not terrible at all!! We are tv people here and it's pretty much on all the time, my dd is 6 now but has watched it from a very young age and she is fine, has always been a good sleeper/eater and is quite intelligent. If you need to let her watch it for whatever reason, who cares. Honestly you could be doing a lot worse for your kid than letting her watch tv!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-08-2013),Dreamer1  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I only had dd I was very anti tv and up to 2yo she would only watch 30min or less mostly in the night garden. Dh would have the tv on when he was home with his shows but dd didn't pay attention to them.
    After ds came along...that was a different story! I have the tv on a lot (abc2). It's the only way I get to prepare meals and clean up afterwards in peace. Otherwise the kids constantly interrupt, they fight, I end up screaming and everyone's miserable. After a while the kids lose interest and start playing with their toys. Dd will even ask me to turn off the tv sometimes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm I put the tv on pretty much most of the day. It's just in the background. When ds has a snack he will sit on his chair and watch the tv while I do something in the kitchen. Otherwise he will play with it on in the background..
    Never sits for longer than 10mins anyway

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Hmmm I put the tv on pretty much most of the day. It's just in the background. When ds has a snack he will sit on his chair and watch the tv while I do something in the kitchen. Otherwise he will play with it on in the background..
    This is our house pretty much too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    This is our house pretty much too.
    And our house too. My kids are smart, well adjusted and generally good kids . I do not agree with the studies linking it to problems at all. It's especially hard to keep kids tv free when they are chronically ill, adds another layer of guilt to parents already in a tough spot. If there was no Internet or Facebook to keep shoving these theories down our throats we would parent with so much less guilt!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-08-2013),Dreamer1  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Our house too :/
    I have music on most of the day and he loves it! Dances around and definitely has his favorites!
    In the mornings I have abc in while he has breakfast

👪 Cooper 8/6/12 - lovingly welcomed after 3 years TTC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bub is only 6 mo and has 1/2hour of tv per day after her bath before bed so I can madly run around and clean up with 2 hands lol. She watches giggle and hoot, cloud babies and night garden. I watch sunrise in the morning whilst drinking my coffee and that's the only times the tv is on. I put the radio on during the day so that we still have background noise and I also play some music for her eg baby Mozart, wiggles cd etc.