+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 18mo an tv, what's ok?

Ok so I've been very anti tv during the day (id put it on around 5.30/6 while cooking tea) until dd and I both came down sick. We tv and couched it for two solid days, and did very little else when I wasn't feeling like dying. The tv went on, and we just quietly did not much but get healthy on the other days. So now dd 18mo, gets up every morning gets the remotes and continuously asks fwaooool?' (Fraggles). (I at least also put on quality DVD viewing) and she keeps handing me the 'moomote'. So far I'm holding off til after breakfast and getting dressed.... Then fwaooool it is. I'm just wondering what other mums are doing with tv?? When and how long is it on for, and what ages, is 18mo too young to be fixed to the tv?? I feel like I'm not helping her brain cells out.. :/. Though I'm glad it's only fraggles. It's nice to do the dishes in one hit and maybe make some food in peace though I have to say...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I heard on the radio that they've proved TV isn't bad for children to watch anymore? It was more not getting exercise that they were concerned about?
    My DD4 is also 18months and will watch TV from 5pm until dinner is ready so about half an hour a day. If we have sick days we do exactly what you do and don't get off the lounge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently 30 mins a day??? Except when you are sick, or extremely busy and they are nagging you and they WIN!!!! Who knows really?

I am totally the wrong person to ask because my kids probably watch about an hour and a half a day (well the 4 1/2 year old my 11 1/2 year old probably 3 hours a day) so I think I may very well be the poster gal for what not to do in this case! However I look at them and think... They exercise all the time, read, play and are fit, healthy and happy. Sure DD tortures me with X factor viewing and DS with Peppa Pig but who cares? They are alright.

I don't think if you keep a balance with everything else mentally and physically stimulating a touch of tv viewing will do any damage, unless it becomes all that happens throughout the day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Notably Nutty For This Useful Post:

Ali19  (06-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your feedback! Yay ex factor!!! Though they could hold back on the drama and fear and tears.... Geez. I've read the half hour rule too, but I was wondering what real people do? Wow, I'm terrible :/. I totally gave in all week. It got to 11am at the latest and I'm like ok, fraggles it is! She seemed to relax once she got it on and then watch for a bit then go off and play, come back, go play etc etc. holy moly though, I'd just leave the telly on til nap time, which was say 2/3 hours??? And then still do the night tv thing for an hour or two!! Again she come and go. Agh!! In my defence, it's been really crappy weather here, and we both needed to recover. On a win though... She didn't ask for fraggles til 11 today, then got distracted, so we didn't turn the tv on til tonight!! Hurrah!! Maybe it's passed... Fingers crossed...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS watched two or three episodes of playschool a day at 18 months old. I like to use the US' recommendation which is 2 hours a day from 2-5 years old (ours is only one hour) - which is plenty I think.

I only turn the tv on while DS is watching it otherwise it loses it's awesome hypnotic power. So maybe put on one episode of Fraggle then turn it off just to keep her attention.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Dreamer1  (22-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    When I'm not working my boy watches about 1 hour worth of DVDs/sesame street per day. Other times I have the TV on, just on my programs (news, soaps etc). He just plays and doesn't pay the TV that much attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    1/2 hour an day? Nup, a lot more in this house for my dd. Not so much on the days when she's just home with me, but when my ds is also home he likes to have the tv on when they are playing inside, so she might end up with a few hours ... I'm super impressed you got to 18 months ... no such luck when you have other children around who watch tv.

For me, the biggest deal is to restrict what my children watch. No 'adult' tv is allowed when the children are in the room. So, no news, no shows with adult themes (ds wants me to explain what is going on if he doesn't understand - even if he is doing something else and seemingly not 'watching' tv) and absolutely no shows with violence of any kind. So, we watch kids tv (abc 4 kids, c-beebies, disney junior, or dvds) or lifestyle like shows (eg. great australian bake off) ... but the kids get grumpy when I watch lifestyle shows, so that is rare these days.

The other big rule is no tv on school mornings for my ds. My dd (nearly 2) is enjoying her favourite show right now for 20 minutes before ds wakes up. She's sitting at my feet doing a puzzle at the same time. But, she usually wakes up around the same time as him, so doesn't usually get tv in the mornings either.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Pretty much anything on ABC2 is going to be suitable and the advantage is that there will be no ads!! (Pet peeve of mine is advertising aimed at children.)

Children need down time too. Providing they get sufficient exercise and other stimulating activities during the day then I do not believe appropriate TV is as bad as some would have us believe.

In his house TV/DVDs have been an amazing, sanity saving tool during illnesses, night wakings, teething etc. It also acts as a baby sitter when dinner is being made.

My children might watch quite a bit of TV but they also get a daily dose of fresh air, exercise, stories, play time, one-to-one time, nutritious food, etc. It's also only ever ABC2 or children's DVDs. It's also never on before school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is 17 months and watches a show maybe once a fortnight for about 15mins. She will generally play/watch.

The tv is on Sunrise between 7-8 but is on mute from 7:30-7:50 while SD reads. DD doesn't watch it though as she's either in the kitchen having breakfast or wandering around playing. She might look at it if she hears music.

Otherwise we watch tv when she's in bed and SD will watch it when DD is having a shower. SD is 8 and only watches it 3 times a week (25min show) as a reward and a movie a fortnight as a reward. We don't have the tv on during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think none is okay.

I do let mine watch a movie maybe once a month, but even then I'd prefer not to.

I had no tv at all for a couple of months, once I got one (with plans of making it a babysitter), I realised I didn't really need it, I just had to put a tad more effort in with my kids instead.