+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My mum would be happy to mind the kids for however long but I couldn't do longer than a weekend away with hubby. I could do a few days and did two weeks in hospital but they were with him. I couldn't go overseas for the same reason as slmeone above said, I would be beside myself trying to get back if something happened. We have been overseas a few times and they have always come.

That's just me, you have to do whatever you are comfortable with and plenty of people do it all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It all depends on you and the kids. If you are ok with and would handle it well and if the kids are comfortable with who you are leaving them with then 2 weeks is fine.

i have left my DD for a month with my mother while she was about 2 and half and she did well, and so did II

Thanks
    Reviews
    One nights enough for me - I miss them too much. I love the idea of it - but I know in reality I wouldnt enjoy myself because of guilt and worry. I've plenty of time for holidays without them when they are bigger and only such a short time with them needing me so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess it depends on a range of factors, including the kids temperament, the carers and even how the parent feels.

My 22 month old has never spent the night away from me and us bf'd so I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving more than 3 nights max at the moment and probably wouldn't unless I absolutely had to.

But I think if you want to do a trip to Europe, it's probably better to do 2 weeks not 1. As PP says its a long flight and I'd want to give enough time to feel rushed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since u asked would we do it, the answer is no I wouldn't.
    The max I would leave a 1yo is 1 night and even then I might not be able to do that. A 3yo prob 2 nights, have a 2.5 yo and he would maybe make it two nights so by 3 i think i think he would. I think u said a prep? So 5yoish? Prob up to 4 nights max. My current 5 yo would only prob be 3 nights.
    2 weeks I could probably leave my 10 and 16 yos. Maybe. It would be hard actually lol. 10yo would never last though.
    Each to their own though. My kids are needy. I'm needy. Our grandparent options are not up to it.
    Last edited by grumpysmurf; 20-08-2013 at 17:29.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As everyone else has said, it depends on the kids, you, and the carers. I looked after my brothers for 3 weeks while my parents went to Europe (it was my gift to mum for her 40th). The kids were a bit older though, 6, 8 and 10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I separated from my ex, DS was 3.5. Just before he turned 4 my ex took him to New Zealand for 2 weeks to see his family. Both DS and I coped just fine!

I don't think I'd leave a 1 year old for that long though, they just wouldn't understand that you are in fact coming back, it's impossible to tell them that due to their obvious lack of complex language skills.

My 22 month old stays 2 nights a fortnight with her dad, she copes well but I can see by how she acts when I pick her up that for now two nights is the most I'd want to leave her. I cope just fine though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    My answer will no doubt spark some sort of reaction, but I think trips like that to Europe or anywhere that involves alot of travel or weeks away at a time is involved should be left until your kids are old enough to care for themselves or you take them with you. I have lots of reasons for my opinions but most of all if its not for a funeral or emergency it's not nessasary & things like that you should do prior to children. That's why the honeymoon came about, do these things before kids. I think about things that go wrong overseas or things that can happen to your children while your away god forbid, once you have children you make the choice to take responsibility for them. Yes you have to give up a lot when you become parents mainly your freedom. I think it's a lot to ask others to have them for that length of time, but that's none of my business it's just not what I would do. Dh & I have had a few mini breaks in 6 years of parenting about 3 nights in one go when ds was 2 & dd was 4. So I'm not saying dont have "couple time" or time away we all need that. It's the length & the distance I have an issue with, but if your comfortable with more power to you.
    I agree 100%.. A long weekend here and there yep that's fine but overseas holidays without your kids I don't agree with. Our 4 girls come on every holiday and ill pay for a family member to come so they can look after the kids if DH and I want to sightsee or eat out with them.

mumbron is offline Actions speak louder than words!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I say go for it! Your going to be coming back and as long as you are all comfortable to leave your kids and the grandparents are happy to have them I think there's no reason not to go. Just enjoy yourselves!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mumbron For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I couldn't even leave my kids one night for anything other than necessity. I am an absolute sook and DS1 especially has huge separation anxiety issues that have only got worse since I was in hospital for two nights with DS2.

My DD who is almost 5 would be ok I think, but even she was upset with me not being home for those two nights, even though DH brought the kids in each day for visits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast