+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it! The thing is ..... You will be coming back ...and IMO it wont permanently damage them or anything unless your kids are sensitive or have separation anxiety. in my experience the grandparents keep them so busy with fun activities they won't even realise you are gone!
    I'm probably biased because I have left my husband and kids ( shock horror haha) for 10 days. Mum took me to Singapore after I lost a baby at 14 weeks. It helped me be a better mum having time out, to be honest so I don't feel guilty. I spoke to DD every day and she knew I loved her.
    And DH and I left DD for 4 days and honestly she had the best time with GPs and won't remember, or be emotionally damaged or anything from only a short time away from us.
    Just my opinion. Oh and also, I'm totally jealous too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No, I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Id absolutely love to have a break, even for like 5 nights. Unfortunately my middle son has SPD and has a lot of issues being left with anyone for longer than 1 night so it wont be happening for us for at least a few years.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I couldn't do it. I wouldn't WANT to be so far away from my children (to clarify - because I'd miss them), for such a long period of time, when they were so young. But that's me.

I have spent a total of 2 nights away from my oldest 3, and both of those times was this year, so they were 6, 5 and 3. The first time they were at home with DH, the second time they were at MIL's house having a sleepover with their 5yo cousin, and we were only 2 hours away.

So many variables, it all depends on the children (there is no way in hell my 17 month old would survive without me for one night, let alone 2 weeks), the relationship they have with the potential carers, the potential carers ability to care for them for that length of time, and how comfortable you personally feel about it all.

I would much rather wait until they were older and go on a family holiday overseas, and just spend 1 or 2 nights away, locally, for a bit of one on one time with DH. But then, I'm not you. And neither is anyone else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be fine to be away from my kids for a few days but I wouldn't be more than an hour or two away. I couldn't go os that's just too far and if anything happened I'd go mad trying to get home asap

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Patience Belmont  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP and I went to Canada for 2 weeks when our children were 3 & 21 months.

We considered taking the kids, but in the end I'm so glad we didn't. The flight alone would have been really hard for them (and all of the other passengers!) and we did things like hiking, canoeing etc and caught the train through the Rockies, which would have been impossible with young kids.

At the time, I'd never had a night apart from DD2 and had only ever been away from DD1 for one night (the night I was in hospital after having DD2). But I was fine and the kids had a great time with their grandmother while we were away. The only thing was that my youngest got upset when we got back (our eldest just wanted to know if we'd brought pressies).

As FL said, you may get criticism - we had one person tell us we should seriously think about cancelling - but if you want to do it, I'd say go for it :-)
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 20-08-2013 at 16:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for it if your comfortable with it! I struggle with 1 night away from ds at my parents house........so zero nights for me haha. I would rather take him with me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For fun, just the weekend is enough for us. I truly crave my little people after that. However a recent hospital trip with our youngest meant having to leave our oldest for 4 nights but hubby traveled to see her each day so it wasn't so bad.

I'm not sure if that's considered passive aggressive? It's just the truth, though its not a reflection of what anyone else should or shouldn't do, rather its what feels right for our family.

ETA we have a 9yo and a newbie
    Last edited by Mathermy; 20-08-2013 at 16:39.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you feel comfortable with it then do it! You know your family and your kids, you know if it would work! In that situation I would probably take the 1 year old with me, but hey they aren't going to remember it if you don't! Enjoy it and don't stress about other peoples onions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My answer will no doubt spark some sort of reaction, but I think trips like that to Europe or anywhere that involves alot of travel or weeks away at a time is involved should be left until your kids are old enough to care for themselves or you take them with you. I have lots of reasons for my opinions but most of all if its not for a funeral or emergency it's not nessasary & things like that you should do prior to children. That's why the honeymoon came about, do these things before kids. I think about things that go wrong overseas or things that can happen to your children while your away god forbid, once you have children you make the choice to take responsibility for them. Yes you have to give up a lot when you become parents mainly your freedom. I think it's a lot to ask others to have them for that length of time, but that's none of my business it's just not what I would do. Dh & I have had a few mini breaks in 6 years of parenting about 3 nights in one go when ds was 2 & dd was 4. So I'm not saying dont have "couple time" or time away we all need that. It's the length & the distance I have an issue with, but if your comfortable with more power to you.
    Last edited by Miados2007; 20-08-2013 at 16:41.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (20-08-2013),just her chameleon  (20-08-2013),Mulva  (20-08-2013)