+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Clothes dryers? Condenser or Vented

I'm in the market for a new one. Old one is 15yrs old Fisher & Paykel vented sensor model. We have never actually vented it to the outside but the laundry door is kept open so no real problem with moisture. I'm fancying one of the condenser models mostly because of the bigger capacity of 7-8kg compared to 5kg on the vented models. Just wondering if the condenser dryers take much longer to dry a load? Price is close to double for the condensers so is it worth it?

What do you have? Do you love it or loath it?
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 20-08-2013 at 10:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a combined washer/dryer which is condenser.

I hate it and use it as a last resort only!!

It can run for 3 hours and still does not dry everything.

We are on tank water with a pump and the drier needs water every 20 seconds cause our pump goes off all the time and is really annoying (especially at night when you are trying to sleep)!!!

I would not have one again but I would also not spend money on a drier at all.

I love freshly dried sunshine clothes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a condensed, its a lot better for your clothes and will keep your clothes in good condition for longer. It does takes a while to dry but you wont need to iron anything just fold and you're done. I always keep the laundry door open for ventilation but even doing that I have condensation pools on the ceiling above the dryer and on the wall of the room next to the laundry... which Im really not impressed with and I now use the dryer only when its raining a lot and try to sun dry as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    We have a condensed, its a lot better for your clothes and will keep your clothes in good condition for longer. It does takes a while to dry but you wont need to iron anything just fold and you're done. I always keep the laundry door open for ventilation but even doing that I have condensation pools on the ceiling above the dryer and on the wall of the room next to the laundry... which Im really not impressed with and I now use the dryer only when its raining a lot and try to sun dry as much as possible.
    I bet you're not impressed. That is one of the main reasons they recommend them, it's not supposed to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessPud View Post
    We have a combined washer/dryer which is condenser.

I hate it and use it as a last resort only!!

It can run for 3 hours and still does not dry everything.

We are on tank water with a pump and the drier needs water every 20 seconds cause our pump goes off all the time and is really annoying (especially at night when you are trying to sleep)!!!

I would not have one again but I would also not spend money on a drier at all.

I love freshly dried sunshine clothes
    I've read the combo ones aren't any good. We have a fairly new FL washer so wouldn't be going that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine is um, I have no idea, what is vented?

I just turn my on and leave the window open and fan on in the toilet (with door open as the 2nd toilet is in the laundry) so that the condensation doesn't build up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours is a condenser, I hate it!!!

Things don't ever feel properly dry.

Plus, I used to like using the dryer for last minute emergency drying, half hour & you're good to go - condensers are no good for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ours is Bosche condense one and I love it. It doesn't take any longer to dry the clothes than the old one and doesn't leave moisture all over the place. When its on, the laundry is the warmest room in the house!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Bosch(I think) - love it. I have to empty the water out of the collection area after each dry (think of it like emptying a jug of water) but it doesn't take more than 10-15 seconds.

I love that it doesn't heat up the room, there is no lint buildup and no moisture on walls. It probably does take longer than my old dryer but I would never go back. It takes around 2 hours to dry but that's ok for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to have a condenser (as a 2-1 fisher and paykel) I loved it as I would put it on before a shift and come home to cleaned dried clothes but if you are waiting on a load it takes too long. And the weights on mine were something like 7kg/5kg so if you put 7kg to wash it wouldn't all dry properly.
    If you have all the time in the world the go condenser but for practicality I'd be inclined to recommend vented if the moisture isn't an issue.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (20-08-2013)