+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking Lunch Ideas / Daycare / 11 month old / no teeth

Hi,
    my daughters daycare provides morning and afternoon tea but I have to provide lunch. I work full time, 5 days a week and we travel about an hour to and from work, so there's not much time left at night. When we get home at night my priority is spending all my time with her so I'm looking for quick and easy lunch ideas that wont keep me in the kitchen for long because I want to spend my evening and night with my little girl. I miss her terribly through the week!

I've been sending her with the food pouches you can get from the supermarket but I'd like to send her with more finger foods and get her more motivated in eating food. Since my husband and I travel to work, we have become quite lazy with food during week nights and just eat something frozen or fast food or geenrally something not very healthy (or I just have soup at night), so I dont really have left overs for my little girl for the next day.

She has no teeth and throws most food on the floor.
    I've read that some babies can eat sandwiches, cheese and bits of meat but I am scared she will choke on these?

Anyways, any suggestions would be great! Im stumped for ideas but hate sending her with a food pouch every single day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you try her with finger food at home you will be more confident that she can handle it. Can you send leftovers from the previous night - steamed veggies that the carers can either feed whole or fork mash. How bout bulk cooking on the weekends and freezing meals for her - stews or casseroles. Maybe if you are short on time send biccies, dip, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes chopped in half and frozen veg (by lunchtime it will defrost).
    Hope something from my badly phrased list suits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with above ^^ baby's have great gag reflexes and will get pretty much everything up. My 10mth old eats everything insight. His daily food intake goes something like this.
    Breaky: two weetbix with milk and fruit, and a bottle.
    Morning tea: fruit bars, fresh fruit, dried fruit, cruskits with avo, yougurt (not all of this but a selection)
    Lunch: when I cook dinner I make extra veg and meat for him and mash it up. I work as well and I find that if I have to cook for him it's easier if I do it all at once. He has mushy food for lunch as he only have 2 formula bottles a day and the finger food isn't enough nutrition. And a cows milk bottle
    Afternoon tea: same as morning tea
    Dinner: same as lunch and a formula bottle.

But I totally understand about the pouches they are way to convenient!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As pp said get her eating finger foods at home - they only need teeth for biting , their gums are very strong for gnawing and chewing food , try find things you can make in batches and freeze or quick sandwiches or wraps you can make in the morning:

Mini veggie muffins
    Zucchini slice made in mini muffin tins
    Cut sandwiches into fingers ( avocado and cheese, banana, egg and avocado are easy ones)
    Pasta of any kind
    Boiled eggs/cooked/veggies/olives/tomatoes/cucumber sticks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds didn't have teeth til 12 months but he ate heaps of finger food.
    he loved sandwich fingers with crust cut off.
    steamed carrot fingers
    pear
    grapes cut in half
    hommus with crackers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

I dont understand how a little one can eat a sandwich?! She's had toast and sucks on it but the minute I put anything else on bread she "dismantles" the sandwich and throws everything on the floor!
    am I missing something?
    would love to send her a sandwich if I knew she'd eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You may find she'll eat it if other kids are. Why not send an avo sandwich with a pouch as back up and see how she goes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When ds was 12 months and still gummy, I would cut the sandwich up into fingers and cut the crust off. He has no problems eating it.