+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow! I can't remember our premiums in Qld when we had house and contents. Just the house at the moment is around $90 I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Yeah $300 is massive unless it is combined with car insurance as well?
    Sorry, just had a look at the board $250 a month. That is with $500 and $1000 excess. It was originally $380 with $200 and $500 excess.

We recently looked for cheaper, Some places we rang wanted between $600-$700 a month.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just remembered you are in a cyclone prone area aren't you? That sounds about right. Horrendous, but right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maintenance is the killer. It's impossible to predict, but essential. Buying a house that looks like it needs minimal maintenance is a good start though.

We bought our current house knowing it needed one room restumped and reroofing. Within 12 months we'd bought a new hot water service ($1000), restumped the whole house ($9000!) & re-roofed ($3500) and our house looked cosmetically worse than when we bought it (as the timber around the bottom of the house had to come off for restumping). A year later the ducted heating stopped working and we couldn't afford the $4000+ to replace it for another year (it was a cold year).

We let the general maintenance/cosmetic stuff slide quite a bit but we're now selling so it's cost us about $8000 to get the house painted (bad bits only), various little things fixed, the garden cleared and fixed up a bit, etc. We should have done it as we went.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mortgage $570 per week
    Rates/insurance $35 per week ($1800 per year)
    Pool maintenance last year cost $1800 for a new pump but saving on electricity now. Normal running costs other than electricity maybe $10-20 per week over summer.
    Things like carpet cleaning should be done every 12 months to maintain your carpets. Unless you move that often, people often don't do that in rentals.
    Then there's pest control, gutter cleaning (unless you can do that yourselves), if your house has gas heating getting that checked every year. So I allow around $500 per year for that stuff.

Then general maintenance like plumbing, electrical, painting etc. basically think of the life cycle of things and expect to have to replace them at the end eg curtains, hot water system, air con units, heaters, carpets etc. This is the big one and where people often skimp and end up having to spend heaps when they sell (or sell for less than if they had maintained it properly).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by llmum View Post
    Wow Indigoj $300 a month is huge for home and contence insurance! We pay $55 a month for ours.
    I thought that too. Freaked me out for a second, thought maybe I'm not insured properly. Ours is $65 a month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is about $300 a month buts it 2 cars & boat as well as house & contents just to clarify.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmy2b View Post
    I thought that too. Freaked me out for a second, thought maybe I'm not insured properly. Ours is $65 a month.
    I replied to nancy. It's $250. Was $380. It's just because of where we live

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mortgage: $2100/month
    Rates: maybe $200/quarter? I always forget
    Water and sewerage $420/quarter
    Electricity, we have not received a bill in a year. They keep stuffing up since we got solar. But we put $500 away every couple of months just in case!

Home and contents, not very much, DH works for an insurance company (in IT), we get huge discounts and it's salary packaged.

It's expensive, living in the big smoke! My mortgage seems huge compared to many others on here, yet it is only 3/4 of what we paid and less than 2/3 of what it is now worth.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I forgot to factor in maintenance. I just hadn't really thought about it before. So a few weeks after we moved in our gate just fell of and is completely ruined, had to be replaces, then the house didn't come with a heater, had to buy a new one, didn't come with a dishwasher- had to buy one. Has an asbestos shed - have to have it removed. Just things like that, the house electrics started going funny, it ended up being nothing - but it took an electrician 100 to tell me that. Just things like that. Usually I just ring up the real estate!
    In our first place, when DH and I were still finding our feet career wise (aka poor) and in our early 20's, our pipes got blocked when the doofus upstairs flushed a sposie. Pipes were covered by strata, but our carpets weren't. Then our hot water broke. Factoring maintenance in was a steep learning curve for us!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app