+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Recommendations for childcare in the city (Melbourne)

Hi Gang
    I'm looking to put my bub in childcare in the city when I go back to work in December; 3 days/week. Boohoo sniff sniff
    Can anyone indicate whether there is an enormous waiting list (like in Sydney where you have to book in and pay a deposit about a year in advance) and what some good ones might be in the city. Also what daily prices should I expect? $100/day??
    I was thinking of Sentia in Flinders St near the aquarium since it's next door to my work... I can't seem to find any reviews online though - is there a good place to look up childcare centre / early learning centre reviews?
    This is pretty new to me, so please feel free to point out the seemingly obvious. Any guidance/recommendations would be very appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hate to say this but it is very unlikely that you will get a spot at any CBD childcare in the next 12 months... How old is your child? The younger they are the harder it is.

I went on about 6 lists in the CBD when I was pregnant and didn't get a spot at any and still haven't. That was about two years ago! I was lucky to get a spot at a new centre that opened near the MCG but I think they're now full.

It's $120-130 per day at the ones I looked at, and I think Sentia was included.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    4 months to go and you're not already on a waiting list? Eeek!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would visit as many centers as possible. Find out about their waiting lists and ask yourself "how would I feel leaving my child here?"
    All the centers near work for me had 1-2yr waiting lists and didn't feel right to me. In the end I found a center near home that only had a 6mth waiting list and is wonderful...strangely also the cheapest I visited. Because you only have a couple of months, maybe work on 2 things, 1. just finding somewhere that has a place, anywhere. Then 2. Finding the right place and getting on that waiting list quick smart. Then at least you have care, even if nqr, but are working towards something better.
    I look for how they interact with the kids, what their philosophy of care is, do they maintain a development book on each child? How closely do they fit with your style of parenting?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub