+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on getting 7 month old to sleep through

I'm after any advice or tips on getting my DD2 (7 months old) to sleep through.

She wakes up at least 2 - 3 times a night and can't self settle.

She has a dummy and if we just pop this back in she goes back to sleep but wakes up 2-3 hours later again.

We used to do a dream feed at 10.30pm but found this made no difference.

Tips? Advice? Ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds pretty normal to me my son is almost 16 months. I can count the number of times he has slept through on one hand! We just bring him into our bed the first time he wakes. I prefer it to getting up multiple times a night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, it sounds pretty normal. If you want to push her in that direction though, my first thought would be to get rid of the dummy... but only because it worked for us, every bub's different.

Not that my daubhter (nearly 11 months) sleeps through completely. We dropped the dummy at almost 7 months becaue she needed it to settle, and would lose it/play with it then get upset and need us to come in.

We got rid of the dummy, and there were a few nights with lots of cuddling/patting etc... but then she figured out that she could suck her thumb/finger to settle. She's generally fantastic at self-settling/re-settling now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has she always been the same? Just thinking that if she has gotten worse lately maybe she needs more milk/food during the day. Otherwise it does sound very normal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

B00ts  (26-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have come to realise that sleeping through the night is not the normal behaviour of babies. Rather that it is the exception to the rule.

DS is 10 months in 2 days time and it is safe to say he has only slept through the night once and that was when he was only a few months old.

If I could have everynight only 2-3 wake ups compared to the 4 or more we mostly get I would be cheering.

Oh and to wake for a feed and go straight back to sleep instead of fighting with me to go to sleep would be nice also.

Sorry I don't have any actual advice other than what Renn said about getting rid of the dummy as a baby of that age won't actively look for it during the night when they want it, but call out to you to find it for them.

Hope you find something that works for you. I am about to start co-sleeping after the first wake up of the night as I am a zombie most days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Firstly, it sounds pretty normal. If you want to push her in that direction though, my first thought would be to get rid of the dummy... but only because it worked for us, every bub's different.

Not that my daubhter (nearly 11 months) sleeps through completely. We dropped the dummy at almost 7 months becaue she needed it to settle, and would lose it/play with it then get upset and need us to come in.

We got rid of the dummy, and there were a few nights with lots of cuddling/patting etc... but then she figured out that she could suck her thumb/finger to settle. She's generally fantastic at self-settling/re-settling now.
    How did you go about getting rid of the dummy? How long did it take? Was there lots of crying?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I just needed to be reminded that its all within range. I'm just exhausted as I can't fall back asleep easily after each wake up (can take me an hour) so I'm losing up to 3 hours sleep a night - and when you have a toddler to look after also the next day, it's so tiring. It's just hard when everyone around is going on about how their baby who is the sane age sleeps through (and my DD1 did from 17 weeks). Anyways thank you

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol this sounds like me - I almost thought I'd written it ins half asleep state

My DS1 slept through from 8weeks so I guess I expected that but now DS2 wakes 2-3 times a night (6.5months old) usually for a feed, sometimes I can Rick him back to sleep...self settle during the night? What's that?

I'm considering a dream feed tonight, but I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, just wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd try gently teaching self settling as my DD often stirs and wakes in the night but puts herself back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    Lol this sounds like me - I almost thought I'd written it ins half asleep state

My DS1 slept through from 8weeks so I guess I expected that but now DS2 wakes 2-3 times a night (6.5months old) usually for a feed, sometimes I can Rick him back to sleep...self settle during the night? What's that?

I'm considering a dream feed tonight, but I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, just wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel.
    This sounds like us. DS1completely slept through (as in 7pm to 6:30-7am) from 9 weeks and rarely woke during the night from then!! DS2 is nearly 8 months and has never really slept through. He will usually wake at least twice a night and still has 1-2 feeds overnight. I have tried many things and I miss my sleep dearly.... He is also a cat-napper during the day so no chance to catch up on sleep. So basically no advice but I feel your pain!