+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This might seems simplisitic but I truly think the most effective way to teach gratitude is to model gratitude for them.

Children learn what they live and model what they see.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (19-08-2013),moppet  (19-08-2013),Renn  (19-08-2013),TimeForWine  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds mr 5 knows that he won't always get what he wants when he wants it. He definitely appreciates what he has and knows that not all children get things that he has. We encourage a clean out of toys and unwanted goods every 6mths or so which are donated to the less fortunate. This has been a good task for him in realising that he is lucky to have what he has and he is very keen to give things to others and to respect what he has. When he was 3 or so he used to want want want whenever we went to the shops and saw something but he no longer does that and nor did I give in to him when he had a hissy fit. He also has chores and gets pocket money and he buys his lunch once a fortnight at school so him having to pay out of his own money makes him understand that things cost money.

But we do like to buy things for our boys and why not, we can afford too. I missed out on a lot when I was a kid, always having hand me downs and more often than not going without and it had a huge impact on me growing up, probably a reason I like to buy nice things nowadays and don't let my kids go without. But what I'm saying is that just because kids don't go without doesn't mean they are spoilt.

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly think it is pretty normal. My dd 5 is the same. VERY appreciative of things when she gets them - 'oh mum Im sooo lucky' - thank you mum etc etc. But then sometimes when she wants something and its a no - well there is whinging and carrying on.

I learnt the fast way though once you say no - never back down hahhaha.

I LOVE the idea of chore magnets another pp had - Im going to do that!

But yeah I DO remember being little and actually thinking that if you had one of those 'cards' and you needed money - you just go and put it in the machine and viola money! I can even remember asking my mum for something and her saying 'we dont have the money' and me saying 'but just go and get some from the bank' - i honestly couldnt grasp that it didnt work that way until i was older.

So yeah I am going to do this fridge magnet thing - list of chores that you have to do regardless around the house for no money - and then the added chores for spending money. and you dont get the added chores option unless the mandatory are done!

Funnily enough miss 5 got $20 from her great grandparents for her 5th birthday and she was pretty in awe of having that much money - and she has only spent $2 so far!!! - DH said when it was her spending her money she was quite restrained haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
    This might seems simplisitic but I truly think the most effective way to teach gratitude is to model gratitude for them.

This, plus I force my son to be gracious. I speak with him about saying Thankyou every time someone compliments him or gives him something, even if it's something he doesn't want.

This is a very important issue for me and after I complete my masters degree I plan on taking DS overseas to developed countries on short stints to work (me) and live in truly needy communities. And I will encourage him to do volunteer work throughout his life as I have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I totally agree... when it comes to neurotypical children. Unfortunately taking this approach was far too abstract for our DD with Aspergers Syndrome. Hense we had to find a more direct approach for her. I am hoping my other two will just learn by example.