+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Double Transfer = 1 or 2 babies

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping to get some insight from those who have had a double transfer as I am considering it for this cycle. My new FS said she would be happy to do a double transfer on day 3 so depending on how things go we might.

Have you have a double transfer on day 3 or day 5? Did it result in 1 baby or twins? Did you have fresh or frozen transfer? I have the option to do a freeze all cycle and transfer a month later. Depending on how many embies make it to be frozen I am considering a double fresh transfer and if it doesn't work then will do FET.

I am very open to having twins (despite knowing how hard it will be) so I'd be happy it it did result in twins but I have heard that quite often a double transfer results in one healthy baby which of course I would also be VERY happy about.

Please share your stories, would love to hear them.

Thank you
    Last edited by Jb2011; 19-08-2013 at 14:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We transferred 2 on my last cycle and had 1 DS.

From memory the % chance of having twins from a double transfer is quite low.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Jb2011  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We did a FET double transfer. The frozen embabies were day 2 but the clinic thawed and grew them to blast before my transfer. I ended up with my beautiful DS1 who is now 19 months old.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Jb2011  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always transfered two embryos. Our cycles went like this:

Cycle One - transfered 2 - good quality - BFP with our DD
    Cycle two - transfered 2 - crap quality - BFN
    Cycle three - transfered 2 - crap quality - chemical pregnancy
    Cycle four - transfered 2 - average quality - BFP with baby due in 7 weeks

I think you need to think of the variables when deciding if you will transfer two. For example:

Would you transfer two regardless? (this was us)
    Would you only transfer one if you had heaps of embies and quality was high?
    Would you transfer two if the quality was low?
    Would you transfer two regardless of quality if you only had 2 left on day 3?
    If you have heaps of embryos at good quality, would you prefer to grow them to day 5 and then decide?
    How many would you transfer at day 5 if you have excellent quality blastos?

So many things to consider, but I find it helped if I played out all the scenarios in my head and then discussed with my DH. I think if you make an informed decision and write down your options, you will feel less rushed on the day to decide. You will also feel better knowing if you do end up expecting multipes (and remember, I say multiples because embryos can divide!).

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

Jb2011  (19-08-2013)

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a 5 day fresh transfer with three embryos on the advice of our doctor and got..... 3 babies. Yes, it was an America

But frozen embies have lower odds and so do 3 day old embies because you don't know how strong they are..

Best of luck with your decision! Xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

Jb2011  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    Would you transfer two regardless? (this was us)
    If you have heaps of embryos at good quality, would you prefer to grow them to day 5 and then decide?
    I wanted to do a double transfer in my 1st cycle but my old FS wouldn't let me... we had 4 blastocysts on day 5 and only transferred one as that's all I was allowed the other 3 weren't of freezing quality so we go no frosties Unfortunately the poor little guy couldn't hang on and resulted in a chemical pregnancy... who knows what would have happen if we had of transferred two!

In answer to those questions above:
    Would you transfer two regardless? Yes
    No, would still want to transfer 2 and freeze the rest
    Yes
    Yes
    No - would do a split - freeze half on day 3 and grow half to day 5 then freeze (FS suggested this)
    How many would you transfer at day 5 if you have excellent quality blastos? Only one as FS will only do a single blasty transfer (but I would want to do 2 if I was allowed!)

I do really think I want to do a double transfer!!!

Thank you to those who have replied and congratulations on your 1, 2 or 3 babies!!! So nice to hear double transfers have resulted in healthy babies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb2011 View Post
    I wanted to do a double transfer in my 1st cycle but my old FS wouldn't let me... we had 4 blastocysts on day 5 and only transferred one as that's all I was allowed the other 3 weren't of freezing quality so we go no frosties Unfortunately the poor little guy couldn't hang on and resulted in a chemical pregnancy... who knows what would have happen if we had of transferred two!

In answer to those questions above:
    Would you transfer two regardless? Yes
    No, would still want to transfer 2 and freeze the rest
    Yes
    Yes
    No - would do a split - freeze half on day 3 and grow half to day 5 then freeze (FS suggested this)
    How many would you transfer at day 5 if you have excellent quality blastos? Only one as FS will only do a single blasty transfer (but I would want to do 2 if I was allowed!)

I do really think I want to do a double transfer!!!

Thank you to those who have replied and congratulations on your 1, 2 or 3 babies!!! So nice to hear double transfers have resulted in healthy babies!
    The exact same thing happened to me in cycle one JB - chemical. I was gutted as I too felt that if I had transferred two then one might have assisted the other. I will never know now though.
    Fast forward to cycle two I transferred two expanded day 5's 100% perfect and had my BT today. I don't actually have the results yet however I did a HPT yesterday and it was negative. I am kind of holding off calling the clinic as I am at work so waiting until closer to finish time.
    Next cycle we will transfer two again as well if need be. We only have two frosties left.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's my history:
    Transferred 1 day 3 embryo and is DD
    Transferred 2 day 5 embryos and BFN
    Transferred 1 day 5 embryo and now 25 weeks pregnant.

My rule was transfer 1 for 2 cycles and after that go to double transfers. I did a double only because they didn't think the second embryo would freeze.

Guess it depends on your age and financial situation. I wouldn't stick with singles too long, you're not getting younger and IVF isn't cheap.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Jb2011  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    All my cycles I transferred two. This has been a mix of 3 day and 5 day. It took until the 9th cycle to get a BFP (and I'm sitting here watching my 2 week old sleep right now).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I transferred 2 x fresh 3-day embryos on my first cycle and now have a toddler.

Since then, I've transferred 1 x fresh and 1 x frozen embryos with no success.

On my last cycle I only had one egg so didn't really have much choice there! Result was a BFN.

I'd be tempted to transfer two again, if I get the chance.