+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How much homework does your year 8 student get?

Our ds1 hardly does any homework. Last year in year seven he was getting heaps. The school sends a text if something isn't handed in which is good and there is always detentions for not handing in homework. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually want him to have lots of home work, I just don't want him to be getting away with not doing much somehow. At the state school he has just left, he got away with not doing his maths homework for a whole month. We asked him everyday and he said he had done it already....

Gotta keep a close eye on this boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds hardly has any homework since being in highschool. I often question him and he says he does it at school or at his mates house after school but I myself rarely see him do any! He must do it though as his report cards all say homework regularly completed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Grrrrh gr8 boys and homework

Mine drives me bonkers. I am blessed that his learning support teacher has set up 1 and 1/2 hours of extra tutoring once a week. If he can get away with not handing something in, he does.

My biggest weapon is I email his teachers and ask them to keep me informed. If he is stuck on something he emails them too. The more I work with them by emailing them the more info i get.
    I also ask his friends what homework they have. I am cheeky like that.
    There are three of us mums that sit together after school everyday and the three boys (best friends) arrive one by one and we ask them what homework they have and what happened that day so we all know what is going on. One of the boys always tells us everything and i do mean everything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is now in yr 9 but he doesn't get much at all. We keep asking at parent teacher night because the principal said in yr 7 to expect 1-2hrs a night. I'm happy with only a small amount but also don't want him to get into trouble.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the responses. Sorry, I forgot about this thread for a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter seems to have 2-3 hours every nite. I actually think she has to much. I think in part it takes longer as she is a perfectionist, and she gets extra maths as she is in maths extension class. My son starts at the same high school next year and I hope it isn't the same for him, I doubt he'd cope lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah 2-3 hours is way too much IMO! Kids need some downtime!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newphase View Post
    My daughter seems to have 2-3 hours every nite. I actually think she has to much. I think in part it takes longer as she is a perfectionist, and she gets extra maths as she is in maths extension class. My son starts at the same high school next year and I hope it isn't the same for him, I doubt he'd cope lol
    What grade is your daughter in??? From year 7-9 I think 1-2 hours is acceptable and from 10-12 anything from 2-3 or even more is normal depending in the time of year it is

Thanks
    Reviews
    What grade is your daughter in???
    Well the topic asked re year 8 students. My daughter is 14 and in yr 8 in VIC.