+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It doesn't matter how much your car is worth, it's whether or not you can afford to pay for someone else's car that you damage. If you can't afford third party property insurance than you certainly can't afford to pay for a brand new bmw if you write one off, meaning it's even more important for you to find the small amount of money for insurance.

As a perfect example why everyone should at least have third party property:
    A friend rear ended one car with their $1k car causing the car in front to rear end anothee car and that one into another. He was liable for the damage of 3 cars (not including his own) and if he didn't have third party property he would still be paying off the $100,000+ for cars that aren't his. Instead he only had to pay the $1500 excess and his insurance covered the rest.
    I feel quite silly now I've been driving for less than 6 months!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    >>looks like a 'do you have insurance? Do you understand how insurance works?' spin off thread is needed
    there should be, I'd like the know the cheapest insurer!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have a look on a insurance compare site mine was through ING which then merged into something else. But it was $30 a month which covered third party, fire and theft

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (19-08-2013),HugsBunny  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    callmedragon, just a question, and this is asked with no snark or ill-intent, but how did you not realise that you needed to take out car insurance?

I can't think back to a time where I didn't know about car insurance? Even as a teen before I was ever driving I knew it existed, and that I would need it when I had a car.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I feel quite silly now I've been driving for less than 6 months!
    Don't feel silly. Now you understand how it all works and can go get some insurance. It's better to be safe than sorry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well I've just turned 20 and only got my licence a few months ago. I've never had to think about car insurance, and always assumed that having car insurance covered your costs in an accident. I knew it existed, just thought because my car isn't worth much I didn't need it, and CTP covered hitting someone else (didn't know it was just injuries).

And I thought it was a lot more than $30 a month! That's something we can definitely afford.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (19-08-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I only knew because my grandpa drilled it into me when he taught me to drive.

I'm just scared that there are people who think they're covered with CTP because it would really suck to be in an accident and realise later that it didn't!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-08-2013),Lillynix  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well I've just turned 20 and only got my licence a few months ago. I've never had to think about car insurance, and always assumed that having car insurance covered your costs in an accident. I knew it existed, just thought because my car isn't worth much I didn't need it, and CTP covered hitting someone else (didn't know it was just injuries).

And I thought it was a lot more than $30 a month! That's something we can definitely afford.
    I have an old cheap car, I have comprehensive insurance for $40/mth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No savings for me. I did have a few hundred but had to use it for a bill. Hoping to start saving again but i am finding it extremely hard as i earn so much less than i used to.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I only knew because my grandpa drilled it into me when he taught me to drive.

I'm just scared that there are people who think they're covered with CTP because it would really suck to be in an accident and realise later that it didn't!
    Many people think this. I've had to explain it to a few friends and until I got with dh, he didn't have third party but I stressed to him that neither of us would want to be paying off someone else's car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't know about other states, but in nsw, you can't register your car unless you have ctp insurance paid for.