+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a car, don't even have my drivers licence. I live just around the corner from a bus stop and 800 meters from a train station. I get my food delivered online every week. I do dancing 2 days a week n I travel there by train. If I ever have a comp or display I use public transport or I get a lift with my teacher. My son goes to a special needs school and he gets driven there by a taxi. The only downfall is its hard to get rid of any hard rubbish I might have as our council don't do hard rubbish collections. But I work around that.

Oh! Well I never! Was there ever
    A cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishDanceMum For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013),wilding  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, and I used to. But it does limit your options. It was easier when the kids were before school age. Now I couldn't though as they're enrolled in too many activities that are not in walking distance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. I have no desire to catch buses/have my son near the types that frequent the bus interchanges trying to bum money and smokes. I wouldn't be able to get groceries home on the bus/carry them up the hill, and I like the freedom of being able to go where we like when we like, rather than waiting around for public transport. Sorry environment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only time I lived without a car was in Melbourne. Always lived close to shops and public transport so it was great.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hipney For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I couldn't. If I lived in Melbourne I think I could though, quite easily.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could live without a car if I had to. The girls school is only 2km down the road or the bus stops right near our house. The shopping centre is also only across the road from the school.
    But in saying that I love the freedom of jumping in the car and going anywhere we want.
    Girls do fit kids, gymnastics, swimming and soon to be horse riding so its great to drive to all of those places instead of ride/walk or catch buses.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    It would be hard to suddenly be without a car and maintain your current lifestyle, but if you had been without one your lifestyle would have been tailored to work around walking, car pooling and public transport.

My mum has never driven and dad worked so we grew up basically without driving anywhere on weekdays when dad was at work. We did plenty of after school activities, they were just selected based on whether or not we could get there on the bus or if a friend in our class was going too and we could get a lift.
    We lived walking distance from the school so mum would often offer to have a friend home from school with us one day for a few hours if their parent then gave us a lift to an activity/ sport with their kinda other day. Worked great for everyone.
    We honestly couldn't do it though. There's not many people that can give lifts to seven of us. I am normally the one that drives other people kids around. We live in a 400 person town with no public transport. At all. Oh, there is one taxi in the next town but it costs $80 to get to that town and back from here. If they did no activities and sports after school and I didn't need to er out and see friends, and we didnt need to buy groceries (2 hour round trip) or access doctors, my psych and counsellor, or drive the 8 jour roubd trip to the city for medical appointments and operations for myself and dd2 sure we could do it lol! I'd go insane not being able to go anywhere! Insan-er!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. We live in the country, 20kms from the nearest town. There is no public transport and without a car, life would be impossible!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because of where we live we could but it is easier having at least one car or access to one.

We only have one car which DH takes to work each day. DS is in daycare 2 days a week and DH does daycare drop off and pick up on his way to work but it is also within walking distance if needs be.

Otherwise, I don't need a car during the week. DD's school, parks, shops, cafes, restaurants, doctors, chemist, gyms, hairdresser etc are all within easy walking distance (within a 3 block radius).There are also a lot of after school activities offered at DD's school (tennis, swimming, soccer, auskick, netball, drama etc) so no need to travel by car. There are also music and dance classes within walking distance.

We are also within 5 kms of the CBD with great public transport which I use to get to work on the days I work.

ETA - I lived in the country when I was younger and like pp have said, life there would be very challenging indeed without a car.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 19-08-2013 at 11:41.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get my licence till I was 21, ds1 was 1. Df had his so he would drive whenever we went out but I was used to walking or catching public transport.

I couldn't live without my car now, the boys go to school and daycare 10-15 minutes drive away and it's to far to walk (I wouldn't have walked it even before kids, just not that type of road) and public transport isn't really an option for that.

I can honestly say I was so much fitter before I started driving though!

So basically no, I couldn't live without my car. I rely on it far too much.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post: