+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do live without a car. I live in the middle of nowhere and have no public transport. It is very hard. Everything has to be carefully planned. DH has the car to get to work, i walk DD to the school bus stop. Groceries are done once a month when hubby has the time to trip into Melb for them. Urgent supplies, i rely on the kindness of friends passing thru town. It is a tiny community so anyone travelling into the city always checks to see if anyone needs anything while they are there.

But a second car is at the top of our savings list, as it is just too hard these days. Also have bub #3 on the way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I think we could. Everything 'necessary' is within walking distance and there's decent public transport or share cars if we wanted to go further afield.

I like the flexibility of having a car though. We can go the whole week without using it but it's there if we want it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a car and but only hold my learners anyway. I live within walking distance of the local shopping centre and bus station so getting around is no problem, I get groceries delivered once a fortnight as well as mostly shopping online although I do go to the larger shopping centers probably once a month and my sons FDC has a free pick up and drop home service. I don't find it hard but probably because I've never known any different and I actually enjoy walking we get out almost every day unless sick or the weather is terrible but again I love very close to the main part of my suburb and all my sons "activities" are within 10 mins walking distance

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With 4 children, a Husband who works shift works, and living where we live? No, we could not live without a car.

If we didn't have a car, it would mean some DRASTIC changes, as in, DH getting a new job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope- couldn't do it without a car and I only have 1 child!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could but it would be hard - dds school is about 15min walk away and the bus stop is literally right next door.

Although I work casual and get called up 2 hours before starting time so I would have to say no to a lot of shifts because I couldn't get there especially as majority of my work is 40mins from home.

Groceries/shops/drs etc are about 20min walk or catch the free bus into the city which again stops in front of the house next door.

If I didn't need to work then yes I could live without my car!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We could very easily. I don't drive at all. The car doesn't move all week, and only really gets used on the weekends because it's actually cheaper for two adults to travel in a car than by PT. We have everything we need within a 2k radius, including both our workplaces. And almost everything we want is easily accessible by PT. The only times I find a car would be really handy would be for visiting friends/family who live more than 45 minutes away on PT. But often by the time I would have strapped 2 kids into car seats, driven somewhere & parked I would have only saved myself 10 minutes or so. For eg, we often go to Highpoint shopping centre which is 20-40 minutes on the tram or 15-30 minutes by car. CBD is 5 by car 15-20 by tram. But the tram generally gets you closer to where you need to be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Some days I am getting all the kids in and out of the car four or five times, we just couldn't do it without a car.

I love walking but there is literally nowhere to walk to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I live 10 k from the nearest bus stop and only have 1 service a day. Would not be doable for me and we need a second car as hubby works on our farm.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would be hard to suddenly be without a car and maintain your current lifestyle, but if you had been without one your lifestyle would have been tailored to work around walking, car pooling and public transport.

My mum has never driven and dad worked so we grew up basically without driving anywhere on weekdays when dad was at work. We did plenty of after school activities, they were just selected based on whether or not we could get there on the bus or if a friend in our class was going too and we could get a lift.
    We lived walking distance from the school so mum would often offer to have a friend home from school with us one day for a few hours if their parent then gave us a lift to an activity/ sport with their kinda other day. Worked great for everyone.