+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I feel your frustration with the lack of support. I'm not scared of driving to the degree you are but I do worry about other people on the road because I have no idea what they will do.

My DF gets frustrated that he has to do all of the driving (I don't have my license at all). It's just not achievable for us at the moment because we can't afford to pay for lessons and I do not want to learn in his manual.

I have 2 kids and right now I am really glad I don't drive because DS2 hates being in the car. He is good on the bus and train though and we have no trouble getting out most of the time.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks for your comments everyone!

Mummabear – I’ve never been in an accident or anything (but have had a couple of close calls) but I’ve always been scared about driving. I think the fear was exacerbated by my parents when I was practicing with them when I was on my L’s. They used to literally scream at me every single time I made a mistake (and I made lots cause I was learning) & generally I’d end up in tears. I had a professional driving instructor as well but had to practice with my parents outside these lessons (we couldn’t afford more than one professional lesson per week & there was no-one else to drive with). Eventually I told my parents that I was never driving with them ever again so after I got my licence (when I had zero confidence) I had no-one to practice with so I didn’t really get to drive & build any confidence. I do resent them for it a lot & always will as they knew I was afraid & never supported me – they still think I’m just being pathetic. They used to like to remind me that both my younger sisters could drive. They also forced me to learn in a manual even though I was struggling big time. I eventually switched to an auto (against their wishes) and it was a little easier, but I was already too afraid by then.

Faroutbrusselsprout – I haven’t tried hypnotherapy because the thought of it freaks me out a bit. I’ll do some more research & think about it some more though.

Bitterpure – Our car is a Subaru impreza (not a WRX or anything). I think it’s a pretty average car in terms of height & size.

MrJones&Me - yes I am in Brisbane.

Acerbaby – I wish there were driving schools for people like me. At this stage I haven’t been able to find any. There is a fear of driving program in Australia but they haven’t had courses since 2010 (according to their website) & I emailed them but haven’t heard back. The only other thing I can find is some fear of driving program from overseas which is all in a book/on a cd & I’m not really convinced that that will help.

Rainbow road – I have had professional driving lessons when I was on my L’s. I have tried some refresher lessons since but haven’t had much success – none of the instructors I’ve tried understand my problem & why I’m having lessons when I already have my licence. I do agree that it’s problematic driving with DH as you said, but I really don’t have anyone else to drive with.

Those of you who don’t drive, how do you manage things like sick kids having to come home from school/daycare? – I can’t expect them to walk home if they are sick & can’t get a cab if they are vomiting etc.

How do you get sick/injured kids to the doctor? It’s a 15 minute walk away from my house.

How do you manage school sport/music/other activities? – getting the kids home late afterwards (possibly in the dark) etc.

My parents & the inlaws (and DH) all work full-time & can’t be expected to take time off work to take our kids places. Plus I'm reluctant to call on my parents unless I really have to because I'll get constant lectures about how pathetic & ridiculous I'm being.

I’m just trying to come up with some solutions to the things that DH is most worried about in the hope that he will start to support me more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My kids aren't in school yet so I will worry about that later.

Doctors we can get to on the bus with a short walk but if I need to go my grandparents are happy to drive us.

I am really lucky to have the support that I do and both my parents/DF's parents have picked up me and the kids to go out.

I do plan on getting my license but I will probably wait until I am 25 and don't have to work out how to fit 120 hrs driving in.

Sent from my telecommunications device.