+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective C-Section after 2 difficult natural births

Hi Everyone, I am expecting baby #3 next year and am only 8 weeks at the moment but am considering an elective Caesar and was wondering about everyone else's experiences. I have had 2 natural births but both not without their dramas. My DS1 was born after 14.5 hours of labour, 2.5 hours of pushing (ouchie) and then 3rd degree tearing requiring an epidural (after NO drugs for the actual birth) and this was all on Christmas Day after having my labour in front of the whole family DS2 wasn't AS dramatic as that BUT had 2nd degree tearing after a very dramatic shoulder dystocia birth during which people rushed in pushed hubby aside and it was all a bit scary. First bub was 8p7 second bub 9p6 and my OB came in to see me after DS2 (when he was only hours old) to explain that another natural birth may not be a good idea as statistics show babies get bigger each time and I may be expecting a 10p next time. He recommended considering a Caesar. My mum mentioned this conversation when I told her I was pregnant! It was her first thought!! Anyway I will be having bub at the Mater Public Brisbane and was wondering if anyone had ever had to consider an elective Caesar. I'm obviously not too posh to push and would prefer a natural birth BUT for the safety of myself and bub I feel compelled to consider the C-section option. Thanks for reading I'm not 100% sure if I will be offered a C-section or will have to request one...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have a caeser. My dd was a shoulder dystocia delivery and now has permanent erbs palsy in the right arm. She was 9p10oz. Any future bubs we have will be caeser

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

MummyLip  (18-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective C section. Only have the one DD, so nothing to compare with, but I would have another.
    My advice is to talk to the hospital/OB you will deliver at so you know what their policies are and you don't get any surprises.
    The hospital I was at, my partner stayed with me until near the end of stitching. Then she went with Bub to the nursery for the weigh and measure, and then brought Bub to me in recovery for her first feed. It was as calm and perfect as could be :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well my third was my only c-section and she was my smallest.

My middle child was my biggest at 10lb11oz. He had shoulder dystocia as well, but came out with a little push on my belly. No stitches or tearing. He has no problems now and he is 3.

I had a terrible recovery from my c-section. It took me 3 months before I felt myself again. My back ached and it was hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your births sound very similar to mine. 3rd degree tear with #1 (4kg), episiotomy & shoulder dystocia with #2 (4.4kg). If, by some major accident, we ever have #3 (and my Ob recommended against a #3 as I had serious joint/muscle issues throughout pregnancy as well that made moving around hard and now, nearly 2 years later I still have coccyx pain!) ... I would seriously consider a c-section. If not a c-section then an early (eg. 37+3) induction. #1 was induced at 38+3 and #2 at 39+3, so if I had a smaller bub the risk of shoulder dystocia would be less and my bubs seem to gain 400g/week in utero (according to ultrasound estimates), so I'd hope for a 3.6kg bub at 37+3. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first bub was 3.94kg at 39+6, induction, failed vacuum and forcep delivery and second bub (dd) was 4.38kg at 39+3, assisted rupture of membranes and came in 2.5hrs with the shoulder dystocia and erbs palsy.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My second and final bub was almost 10lbs and turned transverse during pushing, had cord around neck, forceps , shoulder distocia ( spelling???) resulting in disclocated shoulders and a broken collar bone, broken ribs after 4 mins CPR, and I had a third degree tear... All because it was too late for a c section..... I also had a vacuum delivery and shoulder distocia but not so bad with DS1. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed a vaginal birth again. Although we plan no more children I would def be having an elective c section. I had one small and one big baby both go stuck so I really believe there is something about me that makes them hard to get out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your advice. DS1 was 40+6 and DS 40+9. I must be comfy! I will talk to my OB about options but am open minded. I have no long term effects from either birth. Just the scars from my embroidery and a little LBL when my bladder is under pressure. I am so sorry to hear all the shoulder dystocia stories. I wouldn't wish that birth on anyone. Very distressing. We took DS2 to a chiropractor (yes controversial) after he hasn't rolled at 10 weeks and also didn't hold his head up and would only rest his head one way. Chiro helped him no end and now he only has a slight flat spot on one side of his head. Not noticeable now. Thanks for your support. I really appreciate the non judgemental attitude on this forum. I know I will have ssome explaining to do to some
    of my ffriend if and when an elective Caesar happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a severe shoulder dystocia with my first, but I had (very accurate) late term scans with my next two and went on to have two natural births.
    I would have gone the c-section if I needed to, but was really scared about it and didn't want to deal with a c-section recovery when I had other little ones and no family support nearby.
    My 1st was 9 pound, 2nd was 6 pound 14, and 3rd was 8 pound 8. I had early inductions with my 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was an emergency c section and when I fell pregnant again when ds was only 4 months I decided on an elective c section. I don't regret my decision. Electives are very calm and relaxed compared to emergency c sections. The decision is entirely yours... But I don't agree about the too posh to push statement. Even those that have planned electives with no apparent "real" necessity do so because of some reason such as severe anxiety etc and that makes them no different to you or anyone else in my book.