+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No salt.

We don't add it to anything, when I wanted some recently to clean a blister the salt in t he cupboard was from 7 years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out.

I agree with pp, there is so much incidental salt in our diet I don't think food needs it added.

With regards to seasoning though, I do often cook meat with a bit of a dry spice rub on it and many of those pre-packaged ones are salt based. Wouldn't do it for kids though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes salt. I don't use it often but when cooking steak I most definitely do. We eat very well and avoid processed foods so not worried about a little salt here and there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Wow - why are so many people against salt?
    When I was 11yo, my father had a bit of a problem with blood pressure, so decided to give up added salt to combat it. We all (as a family) gave up added salt at that time. Even at 11yo, I switched to having pepper on my eggs instead of salt. At the time, he said that he had read that two slices of bread have enough salt for the daily requirement of a person.

In my late 20s I started having a few problems, and when I went to the doctor, he suggested that they sounded like the symptoms for too much salt. I explained that I had very little salt in my diet, and he informed me that the same symptoms applied for not enough salt as well - but that doesn't happen in Western societies. I switched from salt-free butter to normal butter and if I felt bad, I would grab a packet of salted nuts or potato chips occasionally, and my symptoms disappeared.

I still dont add salt to my food but no longer look for low-salt varieties of processed foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I dont like salt really, so nope. I season our steaks with a special steak rub that my dad makes. It's spicy but my kids are partial to spicy food

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    No salt - As adults I find we add so much stuff to our food for flavours but I think it's good to start kids with the basic flavour. The only thing I would offer my kids with steak would probably be a bit of tomato sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't. I don't think it's terrible though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (19-08-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would. I think a bit of salt is much better than the salt and sugar in tomato sauce.

Not for tiny babies, but older kids, sure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cook with it, but don't add it to food after preparation. So yep, once my Bub is eating with us she will be having seasoned food (I grew up with very bland food and I can't stand it, it makes eating a chore lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't add salt to their meals but it is available to them if they want it.

Both my eldest dd and I carry a salt sachet on us at all times. She gets sudden blood pressure drops and I do when I am pregnant. One salt sachet works fantastic to get our bp up fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TotSnot View Post
    No salt - As adults I find we add so much stuff to our food for flavours but I think it's good to start kids with the basic flavour. The only thing I would offer my kids with steak would probably be a bit of tomato sauce.
    Which probably has more salt in it than the bit you shook on..... plus the sugar in tomato sauce too (unless its homemade!)

Sorry, I just realised this may sound a bit nit-picky, not intended to be mean I just think that many people dont realise that the majority of the salt in our diet comes hidden in food, not what we add on. Its The same with sugar.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 19-08-2013 at 09:16.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (19-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (19-08-2013)