+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    What are suggested cut offs if 150,000 is considered too high?
    I think minimum wage is good, but with super paid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't really see a need for paid maternity leave tbh.

Shoot me down all you want. I think women should have their jobs held for them, but not paid at a full rate, and certainly not by the government. Perhaps an alternate payment should be offered... but why is Abbott supporting this and where is this money coming from? Isn't he b*tching about debt... surely this would only guarantee more debt?

Given we have crappy health care, crappy education, crappy everything really... this isn't something we're in a position to afford.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 19-08-2013 at 17:31.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think it's a great way to make his big-business mates happy. Their small-time "competition," will be run into the ground. The idea of being paid not to work sounds awesome... but it's just not realistic for smaller companies. I fear this might also mean smaller companies won't be keen to hire "women of breeding age," just in fear of what it will mean for their business.
    It's government funded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I heard Fran Kelly interview the head of the small business council this morning, they are behind it as they say it supports small business to support families in the work force. I think it's a win for small business.

Forget the election and the cost, say we could afford to give all women 6 months at home without having to get back to work, do people think maternity leave is beneficial to families and children? Is this not something we should value as a society?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Forget the election and the cost, say we could afford to give all women 6 months at home without having to get back to work, do people think maternity leave is beneficial to families and children? Is this not something we should value as a society?
    Yeah i totally agree. I think it is something we should place a high value on. Yes, a woman can do pretty much any job a man can do, but last i checked, the responsibility of continuing the human race still rested squarely on the shoulders of woman-kind. And with that important task, we need to support them as fairly as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it should only apply where a person isn't already receiving paid maternity leave from their employer. Wen I had my last paid maternity leave I received close to 5 months full pay which I could elect to take at half pay for 10 months. That was not my full time wage equivalent. It was my pro rated pay for 4 months. That was an exceptionally large sum of money. To then turn around and pay another $75k once this had ended would be insanity.

I think if someone is already lucky enough to be able to receive paid maternity leave the government shouldn't be topping it up with minimum or any sort of other ppl. That part of it I don't get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think it should only apply where a person isn't already receiving paid maternity leave from their employer. Wen I had my last paid maternity leave I received close to 5 months full pay which I could elect to take at half pay for 10 months. That was not my full time wage equivalent. It was my pro rated pay for 4 months. That was an exceptionally large sum of money. To then turn around and pay another $75k once this had ended would be insanity.

I think if someone is already lucky enough to be able to receive paid maternity leave the government shouldn't be topping it up with minimum or any sort of other ppl. That part of it I don't get.
    I agree with this, but do you think employers would scrap their current maternity leave policies if Abbot puts this into place?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I agree with this, but do you think employers would scrap their current maternity leave policies if Abbot puts this into place?
    No way. At least I don't think so. My full time wage was substantially higher than 150K. There's no way employees would find that acceptable. But fear of that alone would make me not vote for this.
    Last edited by Sonja; 19-08-2013 at 19:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I was wondering about the impact on employer PPL benefits as well, for women who earn over $150k in particular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I don't really see a need for paid maternity leave tbh.

Shoot me down all you want. I think women should have their jobs held for them, but not paid at a full rate, and certainly not by the government. Perhaps an alternate payment should be offered... but why is Abbott supporting this and where is this money coming from? Isn't he b*tching about debt... surely this would only guarantee more debt?

Given we have crappy health care, crappy education, crappy everything really... this isn't something we're in a position to afford.
    But if it's not paid by government would you care? As a lawyer I made my employers substantial amount of money over the years and was well paid, and my employers were happy to pay me maternity leave so that they secured my employment on return. Most private enterprise sees this as a valuable investment in their female employees. I don't see any harm in that.