+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    He hasn't won the election yet.

I really hope that women are not swayed by the very short term gain of 6 months pay where they may otherwise not vote for Abbott.

I dislike this policy. It seems extravangant to be paying someone $75000 to stay at home for 6 months. I believe a lower threshold would be more appropriate.
    I agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    He hasn't won the election yet.

I really hope that women are not swayed by the very short term gain of 6 months pay where they may otherwise not vote for Abbott.
    It will never be brought in. It's election bating.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know why this shocks any of you. The liberal party is all about making the rich richer and the poor poorer. Just like PPL it doesn't cater for all women either. As a previous poster said people on contracts or casual aren't catered for at all. I'm a relief teacher and under his scheme I'd get nothing. Also what people need to think about is that the money has to come from somewhere. You'll just have to pay for it in different ways. Also Abbott's full of crap so who knows what he'll actually bring in. I don't think the system is catered for people going to work or for SAHM. I mean for most people to go to work they have to use childcare which takes up quite a lot of money unless you're on an extremely high income. Because of childcare I earn the most amount of money doing 2 days a week. If I do more than 2 days I actually lose money.
    Last edited by Renesme; 19-08-2013 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the most important point in this proposal is the superannuation component. All previous leave incentives have ignored this and it has left most mothers with pitiful gaps in their highest compounding super-earning years. Today, women retire with $40k less than men. Most women in our generation will retire with upwards of $90k less than their partners. And if they split and are single in retirement? They face a pathetically inadequate governement pension to cover the gap.

I think it is a wonderful step towards gender equality. And i think being completely government funded will mean that there is no disadvantage to businesses employing women. Matching current wages $ for $ for six months is not an incentive to have kids, but it does certainly remove a major financial hurdle for most. I cant think of a fairer way to do it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-08-2013),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (19-08-2013),kw123  (19-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (19-08-2013),Spotdog  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This doesn't say any different to how its been discussed here.I work part time so whilst my "fulltime" rate is printed on some slips and would be paid pro rata at the same rate, I'd come put of it with similar amount. The super component would be the biggest advantage.

Under the current system its also difficult for small business owners who have to part fund it and can be a disincentive to hire women of childbearing age.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Rice  (22-08-2013),steel magnolia  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't put it up to argue, I posted it so people could read it?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand, and my comment after reading it was that it brings nothing new to the discussion. I read and I commented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I understand, and my comment after reading it was that it brings nothing new to the discussion. I read and I commented.
    I disagree.

I think it clarifies things and offers information without bias.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone clarify how this applies to men who are taking leave to look after their child? The original article implies that a man would get paid based on the mothers income - is this correct? If so I don't agree with that aspect of the policy. I think fathers should be treated the same as mothers and be able to take 6 months off at their own pre-baby income level if they are the primary carer. I think it would also be great if the parents could mix and match a bit when deciding who would take time off to care for the child. So, for example, the mother could take the first 4 months off, then when she goes back to work the father could take off the remaining 2 months to care for the child - with both parents still earning their respective pre-baby income.