+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 171
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it is a good idea. But not yet. We are not in a position to afford it at the moment. Once the budget is all sorted, then it may be more appropriate.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (19-08-2013)

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,909
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    381
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It won't make me vote for Abbott, but I think it's a much better scheme than the existing PPL.

    Under the existing PPL, if I'd gone back to work after mat leave one day a week (just the minimum amount of hours to qualify for PPL) and earned $240/ week working that one day, I would then be eligible for the government PPL of $622/ week (or thereabouts). Nice little pay rise there for popping out a kid, but certainly not something that I think makes good economic sense, OR seem fair. (As it is I went back three days a week instead.)

    So yes I think it's a much fairer scheme. Earn $240/ week, get $240/ week PPL for 6 months. Earn $3000 or whatever a week, get paid that for 6 months.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    777
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    181
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's great but honestly how will the government afford it without taking it away from somewhere else that is probably more important. Obviously a grab for votes like everything else rather than actually tackling the overall picture of our country. But wish it started straight away LOL.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,285
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    It won't make me vote for Abbott, but I think it's a much better scheme than the existing PPL.

    Under the existing PPL, if I'd gone back to work after mat leave one day a week (just the minimum amount of hours to qualify for PPL) and earned $240/ week working that one day, I would then be eligible for the government PPL of $622/ week (or thereabouts). Nice little pay rise there for popping out a kid, but certainly not something that I think makes good economic sense, OR seem fair. (As it is I went back three days a week instead.)

    So yes I think it's a much fairer scheme. Earn $240/ week, get $240/ week PPL for 6 months. Earn $3000 or whatever a week, get paid that for 6 months.
    I don't know if it works like that.

    Lets say your yearly earnings are 90k, but you work part time, so only earn 60k, as far as I understand, under the coalition plan, you will be paid at the 90k rate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong???

    Also, I am a public school teacher and have worked part time since having children, yet have been paid my maternity leave at a full time rate when having my second and third child. So when I had my second child, I earned more on mat leave than when I was working 2 days a week.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    I think it's great but honestly how will the government afford it without taking it away from somewhere else that is probably more important. Obviously a grab for votes like everything else rather than actually tackling the overall picture of our country. But wish it started straight away LOL.
    By taxing big businesses an extra 1.5% apparently.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know if it works like that.

    Lets say your yearly earnings are 90k, but you work part time, so only earn 60k, as far as I understand, under the coalition plan, you will be paid at the 90k rate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong???

    Also, I am a public school teacher and have worked part time since having children, yet have been paid my maternity leave at a full time rate when having my second and third child. So when I had my second child, I earned more on mat leave than when I was working 2 days a week.
    Pretty sure it's whatever you were actually earning, dollar for dollar, not the full time equivalent.

    Strange how you got mat leave at FTE rate from a public school but I'm almost certain that's not how the Govt is planning on doing it. Nor should they!

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,285
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Pretty sure it's whatever you were actually earning, dollar for dollar, not the full time equivalent.

    Strange how you got mat leave at FTE rate from a public school but I'm almost certain that's not how the Govt is planning on doing it. Nor should they!
    I guess it's something the union fought for???

    But it's true, I had the option of taking 14 weeks full pay, 28 weeks half pay or a lump sum. I also get full pay in school holidays whilst on mat leave.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I guess it's something the union fought for???

    But it's true, I had the option of taking 14 weeks full pay, 28 weeks half pay or a lump sum. I also get full pay in school holidays whilst on mat leave.
    Yeah must be. Nice! take it!

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,909
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    381
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know if it works like that.

    Lets say your yearly earnings are 90k, but you work part time, so only earn 60k, as far as I understand, under the coalition plan, you will be paid at the 90k rate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong???

    Also, I am a public school teacher and have worked part time since having children, yet have been paid my maternity leave at a full time rate when having my second and third child. So when I had my second child, I earned more on mat leave than when I was working 2 days a week.
    If that's how it is going to work then no I don't agree with it.

    Wish I'd been a teacher haha... I'm a nurse in the public sector and we certainly don't get that.

  11. #50
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Spewing it starts in 2015.
    He hasn't won the election yet.


    I really hope that women are not swayed by the very short term gain of 6 months pay where they may otherwise not vote for Abbott.

    I dislike this policy. It seems extravangant to be paying someone $75000 to stay at home for 6 months. I believe a lower threshold would be more appropriate.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

    Ffrenchknickers  (18-08-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Kitchen colour scheme.
    By waterlily in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 20-09-2013, 12:36
  2. National Rental Affordability Scheme
    By MuminMind in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 27-01-2013, 15:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Innovations Sports Physiotherapy
Women’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer Post Natal Pilates Classes taken by our Physios. These classes help you rebuild strength through your Core and Pelvic Floor.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!