+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it is a good idea. But not yet. We are not in a position to afford it at the moment. Once the budget is all sorted, then it may be more appropriate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It won't make me vote for Abbott, but I think it's a much better scheme than the existing PPL.

Under the existing PPL, if I'd gone back to work after mat leave one day a week (just the minimum amount of hours to qualify for PPL) and earned $240/ week working that one day, I would then be eligible for the government PPL of $622/ week (or thereabouts). Nice little pay rise there for popping out a kid, but certainly not something that I think makes good economic sense, OR seem fair. (As it is I went back three days a week instead.)

So yes I think it's a much fairer scheme. Earn $240/ week, get $240/ week PPL for 6 months. Earn $3000 or whatever a week, get paid that for 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's great but honestly how will the government afford it without taking it away from somewhere else that is probably more important. Obviously a grab for votes like everything else rather than actually tackling the overall picture of our country. But wish it started straight away LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    It won't make me vote for Abbott, but I think it's a much better scheme than the existing PPL.

Under the existing PPL, if I'd gone back to work after mat leave one day a week (just the minimum amount of hours to qualify for PPL) and earned $240/ week working that one day, I would then be eligible for the government PPL of $622/ week (or thereabouts). Nice little pay rise there for popping out a kid, but certainly not something that I think makes good economic sense, OR seem fair. (As it is I went back three days a week instead.)

So yes I think it's a much fairer scheme. Earn $240/ week, get $240/ week PPL for 6 months. Earn $3000 or whatever a week, get paid that for 6 months.
    I don't know if it works like that.

Lets say your yearly earnings are 90k, but you work part time, so only earn 60k, as far as I understand, under the coalition plan, you will be paid at the 90k rate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong???

Also, I am a public school teacher and have worked part time since having children, yet have been paid my maternity leave at a full time rate when having my second and third child. So when I had my second child, I earned more on mat leave than when I was working 2 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    I think it's great but honestly how will the government afford it without taking it away from somewhere else that is probably more important. Obviously a grab for votes like everything else rather than actually tackling the overall picture of our country. But wish it started straight away LOL.
    By taxing big businesses an extra 1.5% apparently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Lets say your yearly earnings are 90k, but you work part time, so only earn 60k, as far as I understand, under the coalition plan, you will be paid at the 90k rate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong???

Also, I am a public school teacher and have worked part time since having children, yet have been paid my maternity leave at a full time rate when having my second and third child. So when I had my second child, I earned more on mat leave than when I was working 2 days a week.
    Pretty sure it's whatever you were actually earning, dollar for dollar, not the full time equivalent.

Strange how you got mat leave at FTE rate from a public school but I'm almost certain that's not how the Govt is planning on doing it. Nor should they!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Pretty sure it's whatever you were actually earning, dollar for dollar, not the full time equivalent.

Strange how you got mat leave at FTE rate from a public school but I'm almost certain that's not how the Govt is planning on doing it. Nor should they!
    I guess it's something the union fought for???

But it's true, I had the option of taking 14 weeks full pay, 28 weeks half pay or a lump sum. I also get full pay in school holidays whilst on mat leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's something the union fought for???

But it's true, I had the option of taking 14 weeks full pay, 28 weeks half pay or a lump sum. I also get full pay in school holidays whilst on mat leave.
    Yeah must be. Nice! take it!

Thanks
    Reviews

If that's how it is going to work then no I don't agree with it.

Wish I'd been a teacher haha... I'm a nurse in the public sector and we certainly don't get that.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Spewing it starts in 2015.
    He hasn't won the election yet.

I really hope that women are not swayed by the very short term gain of 6 months pay where they may otherwise not vote for Abbott.

I dislike this policy. It seems extravangant to be paying someone $75000 to stay at home for 6 months. I believe a lower threshold would be more appropriate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (18-08-2013)