+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Opportunity equality. You are my new favourite jibber
    Lol - what's a jibber?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Lol - what's a jibber?
    Hubber ... Autocorrect hates me. It changed 'things' to 'bongs' earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Hubber ... Autocorrect hates me. It changed 'things' to 'bongs' earlier.
    Hahaha I just googled it and it said joint!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha I just googled it and it said joint!
    Seriously??? Autocorrect is turning me into a stoner!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's fair for people to say that women who earn $150k don't deserve to be a part of this scheme. One of my close friends earns $150k and she has 2 kids, and although she earns almost double the money that I do, they struggle much much more than we do, and our household incomes are almost the same. It's easy for people who don't earn very much to judge those who earn a lot more and assume that they have all this extra money to spare. This scheme would mean that I could take a good amount of time off to stay home with my newborn and not stress about how we're going to pay the bills or mortgage like I would under the current scheme - issues we all would have no matter how much money we make.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VMuchInLove For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (19-08-2013),wilding  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it's great that we are starting to value the role of mothers. It's important that we value the role of family and the role of women in the work force. Giving women the opportunity to stay at home and re-enter the work force is an important part of our society.

This scheme while a good start, I don't think goes far enough. It still doesn't put us up where the global leaders are with this. Scandinavian countries do it well and imo this is where we should be headed. 18 weeks is a pittance when you look at other countries.
    1. Sweden: 420 days, 80 percent of paid wages.
    2. Denmark: 52 weeks, 100 percent of paid wages.
    3. Serbia: 52 weeks, 100 percent of paid wages.
    4. United Kingdom: 52 weeks, 90 percent of paid wages.
    5. Canada: 52 weeks, 55 percent of paid wages for the first 17 weeks of maternity leave.
    6. Croatia: 1 year, 100 percent of paid wages.
    7. Albania: 1 year, 80 percent of paid wages before birth and for the next 150 days after birth. For the rest of the maternity leave, you get 50 percent of paid wages.
    8. Bosnia and Herzegovina: 1 year, 82 percent of paid wages for the first month, and 75 percent for the rest of the maternity leave.
    9. Norway: 46 to 56 weeks, 100 percent of paid wages if you take 46 weeks off but 80 percent if you take 56 weeks off.
    If we take politics out of it and think of it as a social issue rather than a political one, it makes sense to me.
    I think the scheme is a great idea but wanted to point out one thing in relation to many of the countries mentioned above, and that is most mothers return to work full time after maternity leave - part time work is less common in many countries that have fabulous paid maternity leave arrangements. I know in many of the Norse countries full time work is the norm.

So I guess it has to be looked at as a whole picture not just the first year after the baby is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it is a good idea. The current system really has gaps to support all woman.

I am the primary income earner in our family and my DH is in the lower category (but above minimum wage) even though he works full time. When I took mat leave I didn't qualify for PPL due to my income, however we then needed to sustain our family on 20% of what we were living on previously. When on mat leave, if all our money was split between us we were on less than minimum wage.

PPL should be tested against a family's total income, not just the mothers. Under the current scheme, if my DH was the big earner and i had his salary, I would qualify which isn't fair and encourages the message that women can't be very successful in their careers and have a family.

I hope this new system gets in. Women on large salaries don't always have wealthy husbands rolling in cash who can support them when they leave the workforce to raise their children.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Spotdog  (18-08-2013),Starfish30  (18-08-2013),steel magnolia  (19-08-2013),wilding  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also isn't the tax rate like 50% in Sweden? I heard they also get childcare covered too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree bedlover!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think the scheme is a great idea (assuming it can be funded by the increase in company tax).

I have no issue with governments proposing changes like these - largely they reflect the values that society has at the time. I remember very clearly under the Howard years feeling like working mothers were pariahs, as he wanted women to be able to stay at home as long as possible, and many policies reflected that. The pendulum has swung around towards working / part time working mothers. I see it at our school - 5-10 years ago most families had one parent at home for a few years; increasingly the landscape has changed and more and more families have both parents back in the workforce, often because jobs have become more flexible. I see on here all the time people saying school hours jobs don't exist - yet I know so many people who work in one, including myself.

I don't see this policy as valuing one person's contribution over another's, rather it is reflecting what is a reality for many, many families already (namely that the mother will go back to some form of part time work at some stage during the 2nd year of her baby's life). If it makes the balance more equal so those who earned more before having children receive a higher payment, I don't have an issue with that (and no I won't be the beneficiary of this as my baby making days are well and truly o.v.e.r.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

kw123  (18-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (18-08-2013),Starfish30  (18-08-2013)