+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How would this affect me as a casual?
    I'm a casual who has been working three days a week in my current job consistently for over two years. This could affect my vote if I was more clear about it. :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abbot's PPL scheme to begin July 2015

Quote Originally Posted by CicerFabaceae View Post
    That would make some people with employer funded maternity leave worse off under this scheme then (leaving out the super part of it). i.e. I get 28 weeks half pay from my employer plus I got the government paid parental leave for the 18 weeks after that, even though it was at minimum wage not my actual wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CicerFabaceae View Post
    I don't think it's silly. For me, it would mean I get less paid maternity leave.
    I'm not real sure why you think that makes you worse off?

So you can get 28wks at half your pay. Then an additional 18wks at minimum wage.

Under the proposed plan you could have 28wks at full pay plus super. If you chose to take further time off (as everyone is entitled to 12months unpaid leave) you could infact budget that full wage to stretch further - effectively giving you 52 wks at half pay. How is that worse off??

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you get PPL from your employer then you should not be getting it from the government, that in my opinion, is wasteful spending.
    Personally it should be one or the other.
    And one would think that if the top businesses in Australia are funding this through a 1.5% tax increase that many of the PPL schemes through your employer would be removed or would supplement the the federal PPL payments.

Im not sure what the big deal is about matching someones 'real wage' as opposed to the minimum wage in PPL. Its not like sick leave or annual leave is paid at the minimum wage.
    And arguing that the PPL encourages rich women to have more kids etc is about as silly as saying that sick leave encourages people to be sick, with the exception that you cant really fake a baby like you can the occasional sickie.

As for casual and contract work, i dont imagine they would be covered under the scheme. And maybe it shouldn't. Casual and contract workers are paid at a higher rate to supplement the fact that they dont receive sick leave and annual leave entitlements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in the current scheme as long as you've been working as a casual in the same job for at least a year you are still entitled to the 18 weeks PPL. Surely Abbots scheme would propose something similar for casuals?
    I earn a few dollars more as a casual but not enough to save up enough money for myself to take 6 months maternity leave. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In the current scheme you only have to have been working min one day a week for I think 10 of the 12 months leading up to ur leave and then you get min wage for 18wks. I think these ppl will be worse off with the new scheme as I can't see how someone working one day a week would earn 622/wk. some ppl actually get a wage increase with the current scheme

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannyV View Post
    In the current scheme you only have to have been working min one day a week for I think 10 of the 12 months leading up to ur leave and then you get min wage for 18wks. I think these ppl will be worse off with the new scheme as I can't see how someone working one day a week would earn 622/wk. some ppl actually get a wage increase with the current scheme
    They might be worse off but so they should be.
    The point of this policy isnt to pay women to have children.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    Agreed, was just saying.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChannyV For This Useful Post:

The Fox  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Yep I have pondered and I think that companies will simply stop their own PPL policies, possibly with a "top up" option for women who earn over $150k. So the employer pays the diff b/w the Govt pay and their actual salary would be for the 6 months.
    My company altered their mat leave policy for Aust the second that the current PPL came in, and just completely got rid of what they were previously paying!!! This left many people MUCH worse off.

I imagine of lot of companies will do the same if this comes in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    I don't think this policy will make people have children. It's not like a child makes you rich!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since people were talking about other countries, I thought I would mention what my brother and his wife received in Sweden.

When their son was born, she received 18 months maternity leave at 80% pay. Once that was complete (ie when the child was 18 months old) then my brother got to take his paternity leave. He had the choice of either six months leave at full pay, or twelve months working half time at full pay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (22-08-2013)