+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    The plan is to tax the top 300 companies an extra 1.5% to fund the scheme, so individual tax payers & small companies don't have to fund it.
    And I'd be interested to know what their own PPL policies provide. My experience is that many companies already have generous entitlements. Eg Some of the banks had PPL schemes in place 20 years ago. I can't see how it will go down if they effectively start paying twice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Does the current scheme apply equally to men? I don't understand the argument tbh. Why doesn't what is being proposed apply irrespective of gender?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Does the current scheme apply equally to men? I don't understand the argument tbh. Why doesn't what is being proposed apply irrespective of gender?
    Yes both the current and proposed apply to whoever decides to stay home to look after the child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannyV View Post
    Yes both the current and proposed apply to whoever decides to stay home to look after the child
    But won't the payment be based off the mother's income?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if I'm wrong I just can't find any info that says the proposed only applies to women. I'm pretty sure they can't do that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    But won't the payment be based off the mother's income?
    I don't c why

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    And I'd be interested to know what their own PPL policies provide. My experience is that many companies already have generous entitlements. Eg Some of the banks had PPL schemes in place 20 years ago. I can't see how it will go down if they effectively start paying twice.
    Do you mean can't or can? I think it's possible those companies affected by the tax might reduce their employees' current ppl entitlements, but probably still "top up" the govt ppl, as they want to retain good people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannyV View Post
    I don't c why
    It has been said several times in this thread that if the father stays at home he would be paid at the mother's wage. Not sure if it's true, will have to look it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It has been said several times in this thread that if the father stays at home he would be paid at the mother's wage. Not sure if it's true, will have to look it up.
    I am very sorry, I have struggled to keep up. In the link below it doesn't mention men at all. I am the higher earner in our house so that would actually mean more money for us.

http://www.liberal.org.au/latest-new...l-leave-scheme

Thanks
    Reviews
    Men will get paid parental leave based on the mother's salary, not on their own. Therefore, if the father is the higher earner the couple will end up with a reduction in income if the father takes the parental leave, but not if the mother takes the parental leave. In this situation the scheme discourages the couple from choosing the father to take the leave.

ETA. my info is based on the details in this article. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
    http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...818-2s4jc.html
    Last edited by Meg2; 21-08-2013 at 09:59.