+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe have a look at his diet? Some foods and additives can trigger aggressive behaviour ? Does he eat a lot of different foods?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUndomesticGoddess View Post
    I forgot to mention in my OP- DS can seem quite miserable and angry a lot of the time. He gets angry very quickly. Is this normal 3 yr old behavior?
    Can he tell you what he is feeling? How about putting a happy and sad "smiley" type face on the fridge and ask him which one he feels like. Then ask him why he feels like that (if it's the sad face) and how can you help him make it a happy face.

I would be asking your GP for a referral to a pead that specializes in this area even if it is just to put your mind at ease. You are doing a great job, being a single mum is hard hard work. Are there any males in your extended family that you trust who could spend some time with him? My brother was fantastic as the male role model in my DS's life.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 18-08-2013 at 10:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The happy/sad face is a great idea, thanks for that suggestion
    He doesn't have any uncles or grandparents either so he literally is amongst women all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUndomesticGoddess View Post
    The happy/sad face is a great idea, thanks for that suggestion
    He doesn't have any uncles or grandparents either so he literally is amongst women all the time.
    Your welcome. It does make it difficult in female dominated families. Maybe you could find a child care centre/pre-school that has a male teacher, that could help. What about something like "Little Kickers" pre-school soccer program.It's so hard to think of things because you have to be so cautious when it come to kids safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 children. 4 yr old ds and 3 yr old dd. DS is a cranky little thing. He hardly ever cracks a smile and is strong willed and likes to dictate to me how everything should be done. He is very particular as well. He has been like this from birth. Dd is a happy go lucky ray of sunshine, she attracts attention and compliments everywhere we go because of her sunny demeanour which actually makes me feel a bit sorry for ds as he always fades into the background when his sister is around.
    I have struggled with them both and found both challenging at different times and ages. It's not for everyone but I find 123 magic works great for both of them, however consistency is the key. I wasn't a big fan of the concept of time out but the way 123 do it does work for us. I also give myself time out in my room when I feel myself losing my temper with them. I just go in my room or the bathroom, shut the door, regroup, then come out like nothing has happened. Works a treat.

parenting program's are great and you can make a few mates as well. Sports program's like pp suggested, little kickers, little rugby, martial arts are great and are often taught by a male.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 18-08-2013 at 15:08.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They do have a surge in testosterone levels around that age, and it can make them really quite difficult to deal with at times, especially if they don't quite have the communication skills (knowledge) to be able to express themselves as they would like, or problem solve.