+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Smile accounting how do i get there?

hi all,
    i have posted before about wanting a career change and not now knowing what to do.
    i have now decided on accounting as i love maths, facts and figures etc (i also did accounting in vce and enjoyed it).

i have a bachelors degree and graduate diploma in the health care field, and i am just wondering which is my best way to go about becoming an accountant?

thanks for your time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I felt bad no one had replied, I don't know for sure but... If I were you, I think I'd call my nearest university and ask for advice. Or call open universities if there's no uni close to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Or maybe have a look at the Institute of Chartered Accountants website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think there are a few pathways you can take to get there.
    You could start at Tafe and work your way up or jump straight into the B. Accounting/B. Commerce ( depending upon which course is offered at your local uni).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I already have a bachelor degree some universities will offer a Masters of Professional Accounting it is a twelve subject course which will give u accounting qualifications. I have just finished this after making a career change to accounting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It looks like there's a few graduate entry options.

There's a grad dip of professional accounting available through a number of universities. It's a 1 year course and available by distance. Here's one of the courses:
    http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=5488

There's also a masters of Accounting, for those who hold an undergraduate degree in a different field. CQU has an off-campus option

ETA: The Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia has a list of accredited courses here:
    http://www.charteredaccountants.com....edited-courses

And you can find CPA accredited courses here:
    http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...ing-study.html

Last edited by 1234Guest; 18-08-2013 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jenstar View Post
    If I already have a bachelor degree some universities will offer a Masters of Professional Accounting it is a twelve subject course which will give u accounting qualifications. I have just finished this after making a career change to accounting.
    Oh great these are more what I was wondering about. Does this give you the same level of qualification as people who have done the undergrad? Is it as easy to find a job ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it does, if anything it gives you a higher level of qualification as a Masters is considered a higher level of education. You can from there complete CPA or CA after you finish your Masters. I did it while working full time in an Accounting Tax firm. If you did it full time it possibly would only take you 1 and a half years. I did it over 3 years and found it pretty easy to fit into life. I didn't find it too hard to find a job I had already done a couple of subjects when I started working for the Accounting firm so they could see that I was serious and at the end I would have qualifications. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jenstar View Post
    Yes it does, if anything it gives you a higher level of qualification as a Masters is considered a higher level of education. You can from there complete CPA or CA after you finish your Masters. I did it while working full time in an Accounting Tax firm. If you did it full time it possibly would only take you 1 and a half years. I did it over 3 years and found it pretty easy to fit into life. I didn't find it too hard to find a job I had already done a couple of subjects when I started working for the Accounting firm so they could see that I was serious and at the end I would have qualifications. Good Luck!
    Thanks where did you do your course through? I'm finding it hard to find a distance one with commonwealth supported places