+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Questions re. reference on resume

I have office admin / management work experience from overseas but in Australia i worked in cleaning, fast food, market stall and for the last 2 years a stay at home mum. 2, 3 years ago I applied for some jobs related to my overseas experience but didn't get through to interview. All those times, I contacted my ex bosses to get their permission to be my referees and to update their latest contact details and of course no one contacted them.

Now DS is older and i did some training I want to give it a go again. Just found a public job that I love but they ask for at least 2 referees with titles, addresses, numbers clearly stated on resume. I'm a bit nervous to chase down ex bosses. Haven't talked to them much, mostly just small interactions on facebook and they're all over the world now. The one that would add the most value to be my referee is now a very big boss of a world wide organisation and i'm nervous to bother her. She doesn't want to give out her details without knowing who she'll be talking to, about what etc. Thing is if I get to the next 2 rounds, I don't mind because for sure they will be contacted but it seems a bit time wasting (for them) if i get knocked off early. My bosses in Australia who are franchisees of retail business, fast food... can be more accessible but I'm worried what they have to say may not be much relevant to what i'm applying for, like "lovesushi is very good at cleaning toilet and making burgers"

I'm after some advice and opinion what i should do. Was thinking about putting "Reference available upon request" but It's a council job so i'm worry if something in resume is not per request i won't get an interview.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd put down your bosses in Australia in the form. If you make it to the final interview and it's all looking good, they'll usually mention something about contacting your references- you can then say something like
    "Actually, since filling out that form I've been able to get the current contact details of a more recent employer in which I was performing a job much more similar to the one you have available. Would you mind if I changed one of them?" I've done that before and they were fine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Contact her lovesushi - as an ex employee she has an obligation to give you a reference irrespective of how busy she is. I would explain what you have here to her, you have struggled to get work here and a reference from her could be crucial to you going to the next stage in interview. Give it your best shot at securing this reference, I would be more inclined to try to get the reference contact details instead of "available on request", it makes things easier for people recruiting to not have to wait. I also think it's important to have reference related directly to the work you are applying for and the experienced you will have spoken about in your resume.

Good luck lovesushi!!!! I remember old threads where you had spoken about trying for jobs in which you are trained.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (17-08-2013),lovesushi  (17-08-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's a little unusual having to provide full reference details so early in the process. I would normally state that references will be provided at a later stage. I've seen some very unscrupulous things go on like using reference details as contacts for agencies to get a foot in the door of a company. People are reluctant to give out contact details without strong reason as well. You could perhaps list their names and positions and just note in your application that you are currently in the process of contacting them to verify that they would be able to provide a reference.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    It's a little unusual having to provide full reference details so early in the process. I would normally state that references will be provided at a later stage. I've seen some very unscrupulous things go on like using reference details as contacts for agencies to get a foot in the door of a company. People are reluctant to give out contact details without strong reason as well. You could perhaps list their names and positions and just note in your application that you are currently in the process of contacting them to verify that they would be able to provide a reference.
    Actually this is a good idea if you are unable to secure details on time or your referee would prefer to wait until the reference was required. But still contact her to gain permission, there may be other jobs in the future you might like to apply for and then at least you know she's happy to be a reference.

I think it must depend on the industry Bec, in my work we often contact referees before interview.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-08-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ok, we normally don't contact references until there is going to be a job offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Ok, we normally don't contact references until there is going to be a job offer.
    It kind of depends on how big the field of applicants is, so it's not something that would be commonplace but it does happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies! I've only encountered public organisations that ask for referee contact details on resume although they'll only contact reference at the final stage. I feel like an idiot having to ask them couple of time before, each time there are many emails/messages back and forth because of course i have to start with how's your life been blah blah, then nothing happened, they must have known i screwed up the applications and thought i'm a time waster. 7 years ago i was at middle management level, now just trying to start somewhere is so forking hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just get straight to the point with them in a single email to be honest, people understand. Put all the other stuff out of your head and get down to business with them

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update and a bit of a vent lol So I had quite a positive interview and the interviewers asked me to send them an updated reference list with latest contact details, they strongly prefer contacts in Australia so that really narrow down my list to a few people.

I sent a message to the biggest boss to ask if she'd still be happy to give me a reference, she read it yesterday but didn't reply. The two franchisees are happy to help but they have sold their stores so now they only have personal mobile numbers and emails which sound like prettyflower111233 at gmail... which i'm not sure will look impressive or the employer may think they're fake? A friend of mine is a business owner that used to hire me couple of times and has known me for so many years didn't reply to my facebook message either. It showed she read it and when i was holding breath waiting for her response she updated her facebook status with other things like i don't even exist. I didn't keep email or phone numbers of client that hired me to clean their house. I'm so desperate now that I'm thinking even putting my husband's name down as a character reference. I'll try to contact my tafe teachers next week hope they remember who I am, but even if they can help it's only character reference and I'm still lacking of professional reference.
    Last edited by lovesushi; 19-10-2013 at 12:58.