+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On paediatrician advice we started DD at bang on 4 months. Honestly, it was really a waste of time until nearly 6 months. She barely ate a thing and it was just frustrating. I think if they're not ready they just won't eat it! She is still mega fussy and only eats a little bit of fruit purée and rice cereal.
    Next time I am not going to bother until I see clear signs of readiness rather than just basing it on age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am undecided as to what I believe on the whole waiting til 6 months or don't wait til 6 months theories. These studies all contradict each other sometimes which makes it hard!

I think I believe that if your going to have an allergy etc, then your going to have it, regardless of when your baby was fed. I have had 3 babies and have fed them all the same in regards to solids. One of my children has asthma and anaphylaxis & the other two don't.

Generally I think between 4-6 months depending on such a wide variety of factors. You know your baby best

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    The reason they say not to introduce honey isn't because of allergies. It's because of the risk of children contracting botulism a disease that causes paralysis and can be fatal in young children.
    yeah i know, but its generally only a risk in unpasturised honey...generally not from he brands you get in supermarkets. And, my kids were actually eating unpasturised honey and were fine. Theres a very small chance they will actually get sick. Its like listeria in pregnancy...all been blown way out of proportion IMO. Just another way they world wants us to eat processed food rather than natural...its been boiled and all the nutrients have been killed, thats gotta be better right??? . Way back when mothers used to dip their babies dummies in honey...yes their teeth rotted but they never died of botulism!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    yeah i know, but its generally only a risk in unpasturised honey...generally not from he brands you get in supermarkets. And, my kids were actually eating unpasturised honey and were fine. Theres a very small chance they will actually get sick. Its like listeria in pregnancy...all been blown way out of proportion IMO. Just another way they world wants us to eat processed food rather than natural...its been boiled and all the nutrients have been killed, thats gotta be better right??? . Way back when mothers used to dip their babies dummies in honey...yes their teeth rotted but they never died of botulism!!!
    Actually, many babies died from botulism from honey- that's why the guideline was introduced.
    Last edited by Atropos; 12-12-2013 at 13:09.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    And heat does not kill the spores so pasteurised or not it can still infect children under the age of 1 ( honey has far better health benefits raw anyway!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Yeah... They recently did a study that said introducing solids at 4 months would help with allergy reduction... I guess I considered 4 months 'early'... How did your son go at 12 weeks...? My son is 14 weeks & I still can't imagine him eating, he seems too much of a baby still .. If that makes sense?

Other than allergy reduction, is there any other benefits to introducing early?
    how many kids were part of the study and was it a mix of parent who had allergies, eczema and allergies in the family?

I just can't see that study being did unitive, DD now 21 months started solids the day she turned 4 months old and still is intolerant to dairy, allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and sesame.

It's more to do with genetics than when food is introduced (though could be a combination of both)