+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Implications of starting solids too early??

So I was always under the impression that 4-6 months was the correct age to introduce solids. However I am seeing babies as young as 2 months being introduced solids. I understand some people are advised by GPs to introduce solids early.. Any mums on here introduce solids younger then 4-6 months? What was your reasoning? Did it cause any complications? I always thought it was a big no no! So just wanting to get a bit of a wider view I guess....
    Last edited by cassieh; 17-08-2013 at 18:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my mum had my brother she was unable to BF him so he was given tinned evaporated milk instead of formula, by 9 weeks he was a big roley poley baby and she started him on yoghurt & rice cereal by 12 weeks he was having vege puree & 3 "meals" a day. From the way mum talks this was quite common 40 years ago in England.

My brother is now a healthy adult, not overweight & no allergies, he went to uni and has a good job & 3 healthy kids. As far as I can see his early diet has done him no harm, not what I would choose to do, but for those who introduce solids early it may not necessarily be as bad as some think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds was three months when he started solids. He was so hungry and bf alone wasnt cutting it so was told to introduce some baby cereal....I made my own and mix it with breast milk. No problems and will do it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    Ds was three months when he started solids. He was so hungry and bf alone wasnt cutting it so was told to introduce some baby cereal....I made my own and mix it with breast milk. No problems and will do it again.
    Oh okay... Was that a gp recommendation? Did you just do the cereal & delay other things till 4-6? What were the signs for you?? I'm looking forward to the days when I'm not a 24/7 milk bar lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    When my mum had my brother she was unable to BF him so he was given tinned evaporated milk instead of formula, by 9 weeks he was a big roley poley baby and she started him on yoghurt & rice cereal by 12 weeks he was having vege puree & 3 "meals" a day. From the way mum talks this was quite common 40 years ago in England.

My brother is now a healthy adult, not overweight & no allergies, he went to uni and has a good job & 3 healthy kids. As far as I can see his early diet has done him no harm, not what I would choose to do, but for those who introduce solids early it may not necessarily be as bad as some think.
    Yeah, I was always under the impression it was really bad.. That's why I was keen to hear other people's stories, as it seems to be quite common that people are starting earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post

Yeah, I was always under the impression it was really bad.. That's why I was keen to hear other people's stories, as it seems to be quite common that people are starting earlier...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My third baby I wanted to leave as long as possible. So much easier when they only have milk!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (12-12-2013),Missy RJ  (17-08-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS1 was 3.5 months. He had severe reflux and failure to thrive due to excessive vomiting all day and all night (we were going through 8+ changes of clothes a day and I had over 60 bibs in rotation, because we used so many)

Paed suggested trying solids. He took to it well, still drank his milk etc and finally started to put on weight until he started walking at 7 months.

He is now 5yrs old, eats like a horse, still a very skinny rake of a kid but no gut or allergy problems besides being allergic to tomatoes but I am also allergic to tomatoes.

DS2 however didnt start until 6 months, didnt actually "eat" until around 8 months (we did BLW) but he had medical issues that made it difficult (macroglossia) and he's a shocking eater now but thats due to his SPD.

Dont plan on starting DS3 until 6 months and plan to do BLW again.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My peas said that the later you leave them the more likely of having allergies, I introduced solids at 12 weeks as. Milk wasnt filling him as he had stomach surgery and was more likely to be hungry until his stomach developed more

Mum to cooper 13 months one due November