+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tongue tie- to snip or not??????

My 4 week old has according to health nurse tongue tie. He is feeding well and putting on heaps of weight but she still advises to get it snipped. Pead in hospital said that if they are feeding well which he is , he advises to not get it done. Confused now!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 of my 4 kids were tounge tied. We snipped one because he had speech issues we felt may have been due to the tounge and speech pathologist agreed. Didn't help with his speech at all.
    The one we snipped fed fine
    But the other two were very hard to feed as the always kept dropping the nipple but we managed and it got easier as they got bigger.
    I wouldn't bother getting it done unless its causing problems.
    Procedure was simple enough though and he recovered fine. As he was older he a GA for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had a tongue tie we opted not to have it snipped even though he had feeding issues, we were moving to bottle feeding anyway as he needed all feeds thickened due to reflux. He has never had any issues with his speech and his was quite bad but he has "self-snipped" it now he was running with his fingers in his mouth about a year ago now and fell and somehow snipped it he does still have a heart shaped tongue though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The ds was putting on weight however we decided to snip as my nipples were out of shape! It didn't really hurt he just left them flat. I was worried about long term speech issues so we snipped. There was no blood, it was all over in minutes. Don't regret it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep our DS was feeding well and had tongue tie we had the snip done wanted to prevent any speech problems for him ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had our girls snipped. The doctor that did it says he always advises it be done for a few reasons.
    1, breast feeding
    2, speech issues
    3, is teeth decay. Once you introduce solids, if the tongue can't move around the mouth properly, food gets left stuck against teeth and gums and it causes tooth decay. You need to be able to clear food off your teeth with your tongue.

I got my girls snipped purely to help with breast feeding, I didn't even know about speech or teeth issues til he'd done it.

Btw, he used sterile scissors and just snipped it, took two seconds, no blood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DS snipped. He didn't have feeding issues either, I did it purely for prevention of speech difficulties. It was simple and quick and he didn't even cry, was just put straight onto the breast.
    Will do it again if this next baby also has it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had both mine snipped. Didn't know with my first until we were having feeding difficulties and an lc picked it up at about 3 weeks. My dh has a tongue tie that was never snipped and he hates it. Has a mild speech issue, can't poke his tongue all the way out etc. He looked into getting it cut as an adult and would need a general to have it done. When my dd was born hers was picked up at birth and we had it snipped the day we left the hospital. Took less than a minute and very glad we did.

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told that in most cases with tongue ties, nature corrects itself by toddlerhood, so there was no way I was getting his tongue tie snipped if it wasn't absolutely necessary. He fed very well from the start. I would suggest you wait OP.

my DS is now 3 and speaks well - his TT is still fairly 'forward' (he cat stick his tongue out too far) but he is otherwise an articulate, healthy boy so I'm not getting any intervention just yet. I think it's stretching, as nature is intending.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had hers snipped at 3yrs old under a GA. I had trouble breastfeeding her but my GP at the time said they would only snip it under GA. I didn't want to put a month old baby under GA. This was 9 years ago in Sydney.

She had no speech problems, but couldn't stick her tongue out and I was concerned about dental hygiene.

My DS was snipped at 1 week old. After what I went through with DD (breastfed with a nipple shield for 5 months plus topping up feeds with formula) I was keen to get it snipped ASAP. Luckily in QLD it was a simple 5 minute procedure and he was popped straight on the boon after. He breastfed for over 2 years.

I'm hoping my next one isn't TT but I will get it snipped straight away if it is.