+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Getting a cleaner...

I'm getting a cleaner

Working full time and travelling over 2 hours each day to get there and back leaves me with very little time to enjoy my weekends with DS and DH.

I'm talking to someone on Monday - what do I need to ask? should I get copies of drivers licence etc?

I've asked for references...

Some tips and tricks to avoid any unnecessary problems or misunderstandings would be great

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    - do they have an ABN?
    - do they have insurance?
    (For some reasons I trust a small business owner more than Joe Schmoe from the street. A business owner is less likely to do a dodge. If you are going private ask for references and a drivers license).
    - what exactly is involved in a weekly clean? Some dust but don't polish. Some do bathrooms every 2nd week. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting. My cleaners did a walk through the house with me, explained everything and I asked for a few extra things. They then did a quote.
    - do they have substitute staff if they are sick?
    (I didn't want any substitute staff coming into my home. My cleaners are a husband and wife team and that's it. Which I am happy with).
    - once in a while can you pay extra to get special jobs done? (Eg every now and then I will pay my cleaners extra to do the oven or fridge)
    - if there is a special occasion can you ask to move the cleaning day? Once I had a party on a Friday night and my cleaners came on Friday to clean (they usually come earlier in the week).

Good luck having a cleaner is a great help..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great - thanks VP!

Exactly the stuff I was after, I was thinking I'd put a list together of essentials each week and then jobs that might need doing once a month and run it by her when we speak. I wouldn't want substitutes either.

I've asked for Friday - that way if we have people for the weekend the cleaning is already done.

So freaking excited!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Oh I forgot. I only give my cleaners the key to my letterbox. The day they clean I put my wood front door key in the letterbox and they get it out.
    - I leave my front security door unlocked on cleaning day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Oh I forgot. I only give my cleaners the key to my letterbox. The day they clean I put my wood front door key in the letterbox and they get it out.
    - I leave my front security door unlocked on cleaning day.
    Good tip but our letterbox is on the ground and not even attached to anything, currently landscaping, I can't believe our postie hasn't complained yet.. I think I'll have to get them a key cut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi babyla, I hear ya! When I was working full time with 1 little on at that stage, I hired a cleaner (actually a husband and wife team) and I still have them 6 yrs later. A few things to ask: method of payment (cash on the bench, or bank deposit), what EXACTLY will they do? I didn't ask for drivers licence. Do they provide all their own equipment and industrial- strength cleaning products? (mine do this- I don't have to provide a mop, clothes, vacuum, nothing at all). Where to leave the keys? How do they expect you to leave the house in readiness for them? eg: mine don't 'tidy up' so I need to make an effort to leave the house clear so they can clean everything with ease. Most importantly- what day and time will they come? Mine come Friday- can be difficult time to get as most people want a clean house for the weekend. One thing mine do is change all the beds- this is absolutely fabulous- not all cleaners do it, so might be worth asking. They strip the beds, remake with fresh sheets and covers etc that I have left out for them, and they take all the dirty linen to the laundry. As for the cleaning, they do all surfaces (bench tops, mopping wood floor, all tiles, vacuuming carpet, all shower/ bath/ toilet surfaces. No cleaning ovens etc, unless I make a special request. Some dusting around tv, some photo frames etc, they take cushions off the lounge and vacuum the lounge. Mirrored robes and shutters generally cost more as they take time, so I chose not to include the mirrored robes as they are touched by the kids as soon as they are done. Mine costs $85 once a fortnight- they only stay for around an hour and 15 mins. Well worth it- I find it keeps the house ticking over and I find I don't have to do any major cleaning myself in between. Sorry for long post. Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks littleriv, the plan is a Friday clean for the weekend. I'm hoping for a cleaner not a tidier so aim to have things tidy on the Thursday night.

Great tips cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Insurance and police check would be up there on what to check for. The insurance covers anything they may accidentally break and a list of other things.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Insurance and police check would be up there on what to check for. The insurance covers anything they may accidentally break and a list of other things.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone
    Good one! I hadn't considered breakages. Thanks!